Expats with perm residency+dni travelling abroad

nikad

Registered
Maybe somebody can help me out with this question:

If you are living in Argentina with a permanent residency and already have your DNI, when you travel out of the country ( not to any Mercosur country ), do you get out of the country with your passport and DNI or you need to apply for a local passport? How does in work when you re enter Argentina?

My husband is visiting family in the US and has perm residency and DNI but I am not sure how this works and do not want him to have any nasty surprises at Ezeiza ;)

Thanks in advance! :D

Having permanent residency is not the same as having citizenship. To travel to a non-mercosur country, you need to exit with your passport. Although, some mercosur countries still require you to use your passport. To apply for an Argentine passport, you need to have Argentine citizenship first of all.

Maikito said:
Having permanent residency is not the same as having citizenship. To travel to a non-mercosur country, you need to exit with your passport. Although, some mercosur countries still require you to use your passport. To apply for an Argentine passport, you need to have Argentine citizenship first of all.

Thanks for your reply, so basically he has to leave with his passport+DNI or passport+perm residency paper?

He just takes his passport and DNI. When he comes back he enters the country by the resident line because he is an Argentine resident.

When I enter/leave Argentina to/from the UK I show my DNI (permanent resident) and my UK passport. The still put an exit and entry stamp in the passport when I am leaving/arriving from an international destination. On entering, the passport is stamped with the entry stamp and they write my DNI number underneath.

Back