Explosions?

wcbaytoven

Registered
One question. Can anyone clarify what in sweet hell makes the periodic sounds of loud explosion which echo across the city? I live in san telmo, between tacuari and piedras, near independencia if any are in the area. The sounds are not local only to my block, there is no doubt that these massive booms would be heard by one standing anywhere from boca to san nicolas the way they echo over the cityscape.

I am typing this message at 16:15 on 10 december 2010, it has been raining all day and the rain has stopped for now and it sounds like an artillery battery outside, followed periodically by the firing of small arms. I hear these blasts frequently, at least 3-4 days per week, and there is no single direction they seem to come from. I have heard them sounding faintly, resonating in from boca, as well as from the east as though puerto madero was the scene of some fantastic riot. As I type this it sounds as though the explosions are very close, slightly to the north of independencia.

I have wracked my brain attempting to think what this sound is. Clearly not actual artillery or gunfire or there would be panic, screams, and sirens. I have thought perhaps the sound of a wrecking ball connecting with a building but I walk about the neighborhood and see no cranes. I have seen boys lighting firecrackers in the parks, which may account for the small-arms sounds but the larger booms are far too loud and grand to be any boys setting off ladyfingers. They come at too often a frequency to be car or bus crashes. Riots would show up on cronica tv.

Can anyone solve this mystery for me? I never seem to notice them while out walking about, else I would go in that direction to see. I simply cannot come to anything save small explosives, but being used for what? Road work perhaps? This seems unlikely in the center of a crowded metropolis. Though I suppose one never knows.

Well, today, in teh stoem, there were some very loud thunderclaps, but that wouldn't explain every day

Probably protesters. They usually light fireworks to draw attention to themselves...

Fellows, this is all appreciated guessing but you are way, way off. Not thunder, of course. Fireworks for xmas holiday does not work as I have been puzzling over this for nine weeks since arriving early October. Protesting with fireworks cannot be, reason below.

The noise made by these explosions sounds, literally, like a charge of dynamite being ignited. That, or the sound of a loaded dump truck colliding with a stone wall at speed. Think car bomb. Artillery fire or perhaps hand grenade. Perhaps a keg of dry cement dropped out of an airplane would make this sound if it landed in the middle of a city street. Maybe something like an 8-gauge shotgun although I think the sound is too deep even for that. Often I can feel the concussion of it in my person, while sitting inside my house. Any protest employing such a powerful explosive to draw attention would wind up on news for certain. Yet I never see or hear anything on television news. Never hear screams of anguish or panic afterwards, and any sirens heard are not focused upon the area but only general ubiquitous sirens of a large city's background noise.

Is there no-one who lives in san telmo who has been home this afternoon (10 dec) and can claim they have not heard the concussions outside? Or even anyone in boca, monserrat, puerto madero, constitucion? These shits are loud enough, and sound like they spread and travel and echo far enough, that anyone in any basic area anywhere down here could hear them. Also, nothing special about this afternoon, as I hear this several times a week. It simply has to be some sort of demolition being constantly undertaken. But I am dying to know for sure. I am not complaining, fearful or worried, only curious, and in fact I rather enjoy it, it's like living in Beirut.

At this point, I'd feel better if someone else would only weigh in that I am not the only one hearing and noticing this noise.

These shits are loud enough, and sound like they spread and travel and echo far enough, that anyone in any basic area anywhere down here could hear them.

Sounds like you've had a dodgy chori down on the costanera.

If you are somewhat close to Plaza de Mayo those explosions are most likely protesters, they always shoot those " morteros " or " bomba de estruendo " type of fireworks as they go, and their marching can start several blocks before Plaza de Mayo. That is my best bet. That noise is freaking loud and scary :p The noise some car/trucks exhausts make is not as loud as what you describe, so I am 99% sure that is what you hear. These evil things can be heard from a big distance and you can even feel it on the walls and floors.

They are simply firecrackers (albeit quite large) set off by demonstrators as they walk through the streets. I am in my office on Ave. Belgrano (corner of Bolivar) and yes I heard them today and many other days. It's just part of daily life here.

Also, there are 4 stores alone in the 4 blocks of Av. Jujuy in the restaurant supply district that sell fireworks all year round. Christmas, New Year's, 25th of May, 9th of July, Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day, Day of the Laborer, Friends' Day, Students' Day/Spring Day, Carnival, Semana Santa, Bank Workers' Day, Computer Programmers' Day, Secretaries' Day, Teachers' Day, Protesters' Day...

If you've got something to say, Fireworks are for sale to help you say it LOUDER!

AR's have industrial strength fireworks. Maybe it is something else, but my money is fireworks. First thoughts when I heard the mortars at Christmas was INCOMING. It is all about bragging rights, biggest baddest bang. Cannot take the little boy out of the man.

Back