Expo at La Rural: CAMINOS y SABORES (Aug 13th-16th)

Napoleon

Registered
I highly recommend the show at the expo center (la exposicion a La Rural) this Thursday through Sunday.

Caminos y Sabores: http://www.caminosysabores.com.ar/

If you like the word "Artesanal" (and in Argentina, who doesn't? :p ), this Caminos y Sabores is for you.

I've mentioned in the past that I like food con sabor (with flavor), and this appears to be a show planned just for me.

The Caminos part will have:

Crafts
Leathers
Pottery
what-have-you stuff

And the Artesanal Sabores part?....

Artesanal Wine
Artesanal Cheese
Artesanal Oils
Artesanal Meats
Artesanal Honeys
Artesanal Jams
Artesanal Beers
Artesanal Vegetables (I don't understand either)
Artesanal Dulce de Leche (I mean, come on...)
Artesanal Condiments
Artesanal Salamis
Artesanal Alfajores (I mean, come on... PART II)
Artesanal Chocolates
Artesanal Candies

...and more.

I'm obviously pumped about it. Here's the info:

Who: Artesanos
What: Caminos y Sabores (stuff that rocks)
When: August 13th-16th (Thurs-Sun), 12hrs-21hrs (12pm-9pm)
Where: La Rural Blue Pavillion (Sarmiento 2704), I think you enter the SARMIENTO gate instead of the Plaza Italia gate. (Guia T p8, 5-D)
How MUCH: AR$20 (discounts for students & senior citizens on Thurs & Fri)

Napoleon said:
I highly recommend the show at the expo center (la exposicion a La Rural) this Thursday through Sunday.

Artesanal Vegetables (I don't understand either)
Fri)

Probably Zapallos / Batatas etc en Almibar, yum yum yum!!

Pickles and the like perhaps as well.

Will have to try and make it!

Oooooh - yummy!!!!! I am completely going - thanks for the heads-up. Ohhh - food with taste, perhaps even food with spice. I'm drooling.

I will most likely keep bumping this up with the Expo is in town. I just think people (at least expats) should miss this.

Regrettably, I return to Bs.As. after this exposition and have yet to persuade a cousin to go in my stead (no cracks about Argentine tastes, thanks). So, Boney, would you be so kind as to post an appraisal after you've seen and tasted it?

So I went today. I wanted to go on Friday to beat the crowds, but I didn't. It opened at 12pm and I went in at ~2pm... and stayed about 6 hours.

First the Caminos... competely forgettable. Almost nothing, tiny...

Now, the Sabores!!!

1st: Artesanal CERVEZAS!!! AR$8/ 3 x AR$20 ($6.66)

We've had the artesanal beer discussion on here and there were lots & lots of exhibitors. Nearly everyone had a normal porron for AR$8 and most places would offer 3 for AR$20. One or two places offered 6 for AR$30.

Nearly every stop had at least two beers on tap and some had three. The usual was a Stout or close (Porter/Bock) beer and a Blonde. Others I tried were Red, Blonde with Lemon (I bought a 660cm for $12 of this and then found out it's about 2.5% alcohol.: BARBAROJA), in face "BARBAROJA" had a lot of different flavors, but most had lower alcohol content. I think these are probably for hot summer days and/or non-regular drinkers.

Some other places had other offerings: Wheat, Pale Ale, y pocos otros sabores.

2nd: CHEEEEEEESE ¡Qué Rico!

It's not like we popped into a Parisian maison du fromage, pero bueno. There were lots and lots of places offering samples of cheese. The goat cheese ranged from extremely creamy to fairly rubbery. (Not a compliment.) And there were cheese with pepper, garlic, herbs, other yummy stuff. And there was cow cheese too. And many times it was rico too.

Yea, there were many things lacking that you would find in Europe & the States, but there were many yummy cheeses and usually at prices much less than what you'd find at DISCO, JUMBO, or OTROS lugares.

3rd: Salame

Many different kinds form many different places. Most of it was good. Some of it wasn't. We tried nearly every place at least once and maybe more than once.

4th: Chocolate

There were about 4 to 6 different places that focused on Chocolate more than just sweets. I broke down and bought some dark chocolate concoction with some nuts in it and little clumps of nougat (there's another name for it here) and it was Muy F'in' Riquissimo! The level of chocolate was much higher than normal high end chocolate here because it was totally melting in my fingers. Yum, yum, yum.

There was other stuff, but that's all I feel like writing about now.

GO TOMORROW and get there as close to noon (12pm) as you can. And then taste, and taste, and taste, and rest... and then taste again.

Speaking of "resting". The busiest place there was a place that sold Orange Juice & Grapefruit Juice by the half liter, liter, and gallon. (~3.78 liters) Because there's a little bit of salt in salame and most cheeses, mi amiga y yo got really thirsty 2/3s of the way through our day and bought a liter of OJ and downed it before going in for our last tour.

I can really recommend the expo. I visited it in 2007 and was amazed about the high quality of all these artesanal products (although it's a thin line since some artesanal companies have become household names over the years).

Napoleon said:
. . . . 2nd: CHEEEEEEESE ¡Qué Rico!
It's not like we popped into a Parisian maison du fromage, pero bueno. There were lots and lots of places offering samples of cheese. The goat cheese ranged from extremely creamy to fairly rubbery. (Not a compliment.) And there were cheese with pepper, garlic, herbs, other yummy stuff. And there was cow cheese too. And many times it was rico too.
Yea, there were many things lacking that you would find in Europe & the States, but there were many yummy cheeses and usually at prices much less than what you'd find at DISCO, JUMBO, or OTROS lugares.

3rd: Salame
Many different kinds form many different places. Most of it was good. Some of it wasn't. We tried nearly every place at least once and maybe more than once.

4th: Chocolate
There were about 4 to 6 different places that focused on Chocolate more than just sweets. I broke down and bought some dark chocolate concoction with some nuts in it and little clumps of nougat (there's another name for it here) and it was Muy F'in' Riquissimo! The level of chocolate was much higher than normal high end chocolate here because it was totally melting in my fingers. Yum, yum, yum. . . .
Thanks, Nappy! This is as close as I'll get to the exposition this year, I fear; but I'm encouraged to try my best to visit next time.

I went today and it was a blast. tons of people clogging the aisles, but it was a good place to pick up some food..

Back