Fabled cafe La Biela likely to close permanently

A few of the waiters at La Biela are arrogant but some ARE nice. In general in Argentina I find service slow, not usually surly or rude however. There is an advantage to this: they don't rush you out. I take my time eating. I can't imagine leaving a restaurant in less than two hours and when the conversation is animated I've stayed as long as four hours. I have NEVER been rushed. That would not be the case in the US. They are also unhappy when you leave less than 20% tip -- and that's 20% on top of the tax which is nearly 10% in New York. I think too they impose some sort of alcohol tax on top of the sales tax which is NOT included in the stated price but added on. I have been annoyed by some waiters in Argentina who are inefficient but given the choice of this or US style service I'll gladly take Argentina. I don't care for many aspects of the US life style such as being rushed in restaurants and having to pay excessive prices and ridiculous tips for the experience. All things considered, I much prefer the restaurant culture in Argentina. As for cafe culture, it really doesn't even exist in the US unless you consider some dreary self service Starbucks to qualify. To have a cafe culture you need people who want to patronize places like La Biela. That hardly exists in the US where people are constantly on the run.

Well sergio I'm so glad and you must be exhilarant to be in Argentina permanently? not having to endure the US style Service in restaurants and Cafes , Not to mention the French style service by some maghrebi waiters ..!.

I always disliked table service in Argentina. Would much rather be waited on by an enthusiastic young college student than by a bitter seventy-year old guy with fallen arches and a chip on his shoulder.

Even in my local club, where the waiters know us, some act disdainful and bored. Others, thankfully, are friendly and cheerful - I sit in their section of the restaurant, and gladly tip 15%.

As for cafe culture, it really doesn't even exist in the US unless you consider some dreary self service Starbucks to qualify. To have a cafe culture you need people who want to patronize places like La Biela. That hardly exists in the US where people are constantly on the run.

Cafe culture comes from Europe. America is different - that's why it was called the New World. Personally, the American ways suit me just fine. I'd much rather sit in a park reading a book than in a crowded restaurant reading a crumpled newspaper. But to each his own.

Cafe culture comes from Europe. America is different - that's why it was called the New World. Personally, the American ways suit me just fine. I'd much rather sit in a park reading a book than in a crowded restaurant reading a crumpled newspaper. But to each his own.

What is now the US was founded by Europeans. If you want to attribute the cultural differences to ethnicity you might argue that the US was founded by Anglo-Saxons and Argentina by Spaniards and Italians. The latter two groups are much more inclined to a cafe culture than Anglo-Saxons.

Well sergio I'm so glad and you must be exhilarant to be in Argentina permanently? not having to endure the US style Service in restaurants and Cafes , Not to mention the French style service by some maghrebi waiters ..!.

It surprises me that expats have so many complaints about Argentine culture; on this site it used to be the reverse: anything from the US (except the expats themselves, of course) was disdained and anything Argentine praised. Anyway, I think this topic is getting a bit tired.....

It surprises me that expats have so many complaints about Argentine culture; on this site it used to be the reverse: anything from the US (except the expats themselves, of course) was disdained and anything Argentine praised. Anyway, I think this topic is getting a bit tired.....its

Yeahh next ..!
On this Forum , la Brecha is USA v/s Argentina .. who gives a rats ass...! Who cares about the Aging waiters of La Biela, or the Toilette paper at the Hotel Alvear..! Or the bygone days at "The Black" Coperas Bar..!
Better discuss Best Parrilla Delivery or CAM $ encounters..!
Chau

"One was well into his seventies, probably close to eighty. Retired a decade ago or so. " This was Anibal. He reminded me of Ed Wynn. Words cannot express! A great waiter, entertaining, a gentleman. Maybe a bit of gossip on the other tables. It was a pleasure to be at his table. Besides great service he left you feeling elevated in that now lost world of a gentleman's gentleman.
All this and more in those halcyon days of 2004 and onward, enough to make a man move lock stock and barrel to be a part of the life life that was here in those times.
...and Voila! Anibal of Munich, in 2008
anibal.jpg

Thank you. It's nice to know that someone has recognized a man who has worked hard for decades. He's a human being worthy of merit. There's no shame in aging or being a waiter, despite what some people have implied.

Back