Face biometrics mandated for SIM card activation in Argentina

thing is that unlike the US, where the SSN is "secret" here the numero de DNI is given and asked for widely. When you open a bank account here online -- using you cell phone -- the verification is done with the image in the renaper database. It works just fine. Not sure why we are making such a big deal out of this.
The original post is not about having to use DNI for identification, and no one responded in this thread with concerns about DNI. This news article is referring to the new mandate by Enacom. The regulation states that any new mobile phone SIM must be only be activated after proving yourself with a scan of your face. Facial recognition tied to your cell phone for absolutely no valid reason.

Realistically I doubt the cell phone providers can implement the mandate. Para cambiar la tarjeta SIM del celular, será obligatorio activar el reconocimiento facial

thing is that unlike the US, where the SSN is "secret" here the numero de DNI is given and asked for widely. When you open a bank account here online -- using you cell phone -- the verification is done with the image in the renaper database. It works just fine. Not sure why we are making such a big deal out of this.

I'm sure the process works fine and only takes 5 minutes, but I suggest you do more research on the implications of having your biometric information leaked and sold on the darknet.

Back