Family Transport in BA

Nachollama

Registered
I just got news that my family is moving to BA next year. My wife's work will be around Olleros Metro Station. Is public transport usable 830 / 5pm? We've heard to stay away from that area because it's noisy I guess I'm looking for a quiet apartment in Coughlan? Any suggestions on locations?

I have two kids 1 and 2 yr at that time. Should I bring a car? A cheap bicycle with a trailer for 2 kids?

Any other parents with some tips on how you get things done?

Saludos.

We're living close to Olleros, as long as you're not on a main street like Cabildo or Lacroze, or where there's a lot of through traffic, it's quiet enough. Make sure you check whether there's building going on close to any apartments you look at, i.e. check them out during the day. There's a lot of building work and it's slow and noisy.

Public transport is usable, it depends which way you're going as the times you mention are rush hour, the buses and trains are full at 8:30 going towards the centre, and also at 5pm going the other way.

I know people who cycle, and there are cycle paths, but I don't think it's very safe. Driving standards are very low here, probably the worst I've seen outside Peru.

We were previously in Peru, public transport was unusable at rush hour and afternoons most roads were choked. We adjusted to avoid those and the wife took taxis to work.

I was wondering what to expect. I don't really want to taxi around with the toddlers. Are cars an option outside of peak times? Or is there no parking anywhere?

Parking isn't easy, but what's wrong with taxis? Here they're metered, you don't need to negotiate the price, we never had a problem with them, safe, friendly, and nobody ever tried to pass off a fake banknote on us, and even with the low standards of driving, we've never been involved in a crash (yes, I lived in Peru too...). They're not very expensive either, I pay less than 200 pesos from Colegiales to Recoleta. Public transport is pretty good as well, outside rush hour, but even then it's not as chaotic as Peru.

Just worried how to get into a taxi with two toddlers on my arm in questionable desire to get into said taxi along with stroller or groceries. Also no child seats.

But those rates sound alright. Thanks for the info.

I also would not bike regularly and any great distance in BA, and definitely not with your kids. Drivers are just too unreliable.

We lived with our child near the Belgrano R train station and used the train far more than the subway. The Collegiales train stop on that same Mitre line is only several short blocks from Olleros. We greatly preferred the train and it was easier and more fun with a kid.

We also bought a cheap car and had very little trouble parking it on the street in that neighborhood. No problem with break ins. If you’re in BA for awhile, there are also many excellent preschools and schools in Belgrano R. Some nice parks too. Quiet and safe, but close to the center.

I used to take the subte to Olleros from Palermo for a 9am class at University Belgrano, and it was pretty easy and not so crowded leaving between 8-8:15am. I can’t comment on the afternoon rush hour since I rode back to Palermo around lunch hour (which was much less populated than the morning ride). I haven’t lived on that side of BA, however I do like the area. There seem to be a lot of families with children and many more dogs than I thought could ever be possible than in Palermo. We’ve never owned a car here, but if I had two young children I might consider it...on public transit it’s clear that many people don’t stay home when they’re sick, and I see it almost every time I use it. All the expats I know are single or don ‘t have kids, but I’ve known several who’ve had cars and wouldn’t have it any other way. I have seen several posts with a wealth of info on families/kids as it relates to getting set up here in BA over the years, even listing other groups in facebook for networking with other families. You may have to search for it, but if you choose the right keywords and conduct your search using google (like “baexpats” and “kids” or “toddlers” or “family”) you’ll find lots of good info here. Best wishes!

Back