Fashion in BA

IntlMama

Registered
What are everyone's thoughts on the fashion here in Buenos Aires? I know the locals aim for a sort of European look that they sometimes hit and sometimes miss by a mile.

Some things I like:

Long hair (though sometimes it gets a little scraggly and needs a trim!)
Scarves - my goodness do Argentines love scarves! They look great though, I love it.
Boots - Boots are all the rage here, more so than I noticed back home. I think the high quality leather helps.

Things I don't like:
Drop-crotch pants - what is up with these?!
White eyeshadow to the eyebrow - the women look like ghosts!

What do you think?

What I love: the majority of women don't cake on make-up here. You can tell a fresh import from the US because she still has a thick layer of foundation on her face. And when I go back to the US, I always have to get used to putting on make-up again.

I don't think the people go for a European look, there just happens to be a lot more European brands here and the clothing sold is more European style due to the country's culture and origins. :p

The good:
Clothes that fit (especially for men) - no huge baggy pants or shirts
No pajamas or sweatsuits in the supermarket

The bad:
Old women that dress like they're still 25
I don't like all the huge costume jewelry
Not a fan of the bohemian look

The ugly:
Harem pants!
Sneakers with toes
Very tight/thin leggings on women 50+ :eek:

I'm pretty far removed from Palermo/Recoleta, so most of what I see is just typical middle/lower class clothing... nobody cares too much what you wear here.

Eclair said:
The good:
No pajamas or sweatsuits in the supermarket

Yesss!!! The clothes that fit is good, but not seeing pajamas in the supermarket is the best. I think about that often, I'll even nearly allow myself to go out of the house in something pajama-ey or in gym clothes, and then I think, "no, not here," and then I think, "thank God for that." I am so sick of sloppy Americans who roll out of the house and into their cars and into the supermarket/restaurant/Starbucks/Target/wherever. I understand the thought, the excuse: "who really cares?" And I even think that it's a reasonable excuse sometimes, but the truth is, we lose a lot when we stop caring about things like that, it's a slippery slope...

One thing I don't like here:
Those platform suede, two-buckle shoes. Are those possibly popular elsewhere?

Eclair said:
I don't think the people go for a European look, there just happens to be a lot more European brands here and the clothing sold is more European style due to the country's culture and origins. :p

what European brands do you have here? (apart from Zara and Louis Vuiton)

what I like :

that men/boys pull up their paints, don't let it hang (extremely) low like fashion in Europe is (probably imitating the american Rappers)

what i don't like :
that boys (teenagers/early 20) never "dress up" : wear jeans/shirt/decent shoes. They are always in jeans, tshirt and sneakers or alpargatas. At some occasion it is nice to (at least) wear a shirt.

Dresses are way too short. Girls who wear these in Belgium are called whores... (Not only the 16 year old where them, but also the 40 year old, and older.)

indeed, the platform 2 buckle suede shoes; did you see how all of a sudden they appeared? they are for sale in about every shoe shop? Cost about 250 pesos, and are very uncomfortable? (I am sure everyone has seen at least 1 girls trip while wearing these shoes)

There are a lot of 'nice' clothes, but there are no 'original' clothes. It is impossible to buy something 'nobody has'. Every shop sells the same clothes.

Apart from this, the women seem be very conscious about what they are wearing.

Eclair said:
The good:

Men always wear their jeans 1 size too big here...

katti said:
what European brands do you have here? (apart from Zara and Louis Vuiton)

Well, lately imported products are harder to find but Christian Dior, Christian Lacroix, and Yves Saint Laurent used to be found here. Tailors used to import fabrics from Italy and many of the brands sold (in suits) were either Italian or French. Even the Argentine brands have a heavy European influence... more so than American, I'd say.

But I'm really not much of a fashionista... I've just noticed that the style here is more European since Argentine's themselves are pretty European in their roots.

Oh how I dislike the platform birkenstockish shoes. I don't understand why all the ladies show up to the office dressed for a picnic or night out. The guys on the other hand generally dress really nice, and many of them wear a jacket even though it's not necessary. Love the scarves, the colorful shoes and handbags. I also like the lack of heavy make up. I do have to say, the ladies in general do dress nice in a way that it doesn't look forced...I don't know haw to explain it exactly. Those ninja turtle shoes don't belong on men.

Back