Fed Ex Delivery From The States

I just got a pair of sunglasses that I ordered online delivered to my apartment by fedex. Fedex paid the taxes at Ezeiza and then you pay them upon delivery. The "declared value" was 300 pesos and the taxes were 274 pesos. The fedex guy said the tax rates change nearly every day but are usually around 60% of the value of your purchase. Ugh...never again will I buy something online to get shipped here.

A private package sent regular mail (correo argentino) that is under a certain weight limit (I think 2 kilos) will arrive at your door with no taxes. Anything else is a nightmare.

I friend in the USA has kindly offered to send me a piece of computer equipment valued at USD260 approx.
We've talked about Fedex and I've explained the potential problems to him.
Is it really worth it or is it best to pay the higher price here and save myself all the ball breaking heartache?

I ship things in all the time and never , ever had a problem. It is by a private Air Freight company. No customs , no duty , no problems. No trips to Retiro , EZE, Correo. Pick it up whenever I want.
Claude, would you mind telling us with whom you are working on that?

Bump
Has anyone any recent experience with courier or mail from USA for example?

Hi All, was just wondering what I should expect for the following.

I have these things coming via Registered Mail (Canada Post i.e. USPS) in a packet.

- 3 2" x 2" desk flags
- 1 XBOX 360 Game
- 1 debit card
- 1 replacement drivers license
- 1 iPhone 5 cable
- 2 11' x 5" posters
- 1 1 gram plastic clip
- 1 55" x 39" Poster

Probably will fit in a 38" x 27" x 2" large envelope, +/- $45 USD.

So I'm wondering will it come or not? Secondly, what will I pay tax wise, is anyway to guestimate the tax?
The declared value is going to be: $85/$90 USD.

Should I declare the game? or Should I get my mom to take it out of the box?

Finally, it's sent by my mom, as a gift.

Bump
Has anyone any recent experience with courier or mail from USA for example?

I received a pretty big box of used clothes, some spices/sauces, and a used camera a few months ago sent from the US via general mail. I paid for the shipping, which was about $80, then picked it up at Retiro and didn't have to pay any taxes. I hear that sending via Fedex, DHL, etc they have to go through customs at Ezeiza so you need to pick it up there...so it's better to use general mail and go to Retiro.
Hope this helps

If you're getting something sent regular mail, be prepared for the possibility of some looooooooong delays. I just got a packaged yesterday that was sent from the US on June 30th via regular mail (2 pieces of baby clothing). Someone I know just got something that was shipped in March. Not always, I've also gotten packages +/- 2 weeks after being sent regular mail but you never know.

So I'm wondering will it come or not? Secondly, what will I pay tax wise, is anyway to guestimate the tax?
The declared value is going to be: $85/$90 USD.

Should I declare the game? or Should I get my mom to take it out of the box?

Finally, it's sent by my mom, as a gift.

I don't know if it will arrive, and taxes seems to be on the whim of the office... 50% or even close to 100% depending what it is, isn't out of the question. I'm not sure I'd declare the game, that seems to be an invitation for theft, but since they often open the box in front of you, you should declare something... maybe something more generic and not claim the full value. In the end they'll value the items how they see fit anyway for tax purposes.

Some people have great luck, others like myself, it's hit or miss. I actually told my family not to send me things because they get lost, plus the cost of shipping sometimes is more expensive than the items.

Back