Fee free ATM

Miguel741

Registered
The ATM on the corner of Defensa and Independcia is letting me withdraw cash with a VISA card no fee. Every other ATM I've tried has up to 8000 peso fee which is insane. The way Western union is jumping around for me lately it actually works out either better rate or 5 % worse without the hour wait in line

Disadvantages are I can only take 30k per transaction and it's open out on the street so not the safest

I don't know if anyone cares just thought I would put it out there

What bank is it? And you're right, in the Macri days ATM fees were insane, $8 a pop, and I always assumed that was going to return to be the case and it has it looks like.

My understanding is that ATM withdrawals in most if not all countries go to the central bank's balance sheets as a credit, so you'd think they'd issue a DNU making withdrawals free for foreign cards and give the bank processing a cut, and then use the money tourists withdrawal to pay for imports, IMF, against the debt of when Argentines make purchases abroad, etc but nope.

What bank is it? And you're right, in the Macri days ATM fees were insane, $8 a pop, and I always assumed that was going to return to be the case and it has it looks like.

My understanding is that ATM withdrawals in most if not all countries go to the central bank's balance sheets as a credit, so you'd think they'd issue a DNU making withdrawals free for foreign cards and give the bank processing a cut, and then use the money tourists withdrawal to pay for imports, IMF, against the debt of when Argentines make purchases abroad, etc but nope.
I don't think you can apply any logic or understanding at all tbh that is partly why I made this post I found 1 single ATM that is better than Western union and I have no idea why

Get a Charles Schwab Bank account/debit card if you can. Unlimited ATM fee rebates.

Life saver tip. I managed to withdraw only $20k from this ATM. Hopefully I can repeat doing the same for few more days till usher of the new year.

WU suddenly stopped working since last week of November I could not send myself money from Canada. (My last hope is that I exceeded my annual WU limit and I will be able to use WU again in the new year)

I am stranded can't send myself money.

Desperately searching for alternatives to WU or how to fix the the problem with WU.

^ learn to use crypto and use one of the many cuevas available to change usdt to usd bills for 3% fee or to pesos.
Or get a round trip to uruguay. it's only $45 if you purchase the day trip.

It is possible that the specific machine has a card skimmer attached. It might be worthwhile for anybody who has used that machine to check their account for unauthorised transactions. On the other hand, that thread might just have been set up to cause chaos and confusion over here by getting people to do exactly that.

^ learn to use crypto and use one of the many cuevas available to change usdt to usd bills for 3% fee or to pesos.
Or get a round trip to uruguay. it's only $45 if you purchase the day trip.
Thanks for the 2 suggestions.

How is it done in Uruguay? Can I get $2000 USD in one trip? Do I need an Uruguay bank account? Or just over the teller counter? What documents do I need besides DNI, Passport, Debt & Credit cards?

Crypto sounds like the best permanent solution but I am technically challenged & phobic. Don't know where or how to start. Can the Cuevas teach me how to set up my account?

Last edited:
Life saver tip. I managed to withdraw only $20k from this ATM. Hopefully I can repeat doing the same for few more days till usher of the new year.

WU suddenly stopped working since last week of November I could not send myself money from Canada. (My last hope is that I exceeded my annual WU limit and I will be able to use WU again in the new year)

I am stranded can't send myself money.

Desperately searching for alternatives to WU or how to fix the the problem with WU.
There are literally a dozen money transfer companies out there...use MoneyGram or Xoom or Remitly or...

Back