Fernet

Since my bags were full of olive oil and mate, I didnt bring back any fernet, hesperdina, or amargo obrero this time, so I will probably be buying a bottle of Fernet at my local grocery store in my rural area- pretty much all the grocery stores here stock it, and they turn over pretty fast, not dust covered in the least. Expensive, yes. I will check and see if its imported from Italy or Argentina when I do. My guess is that the US product is from Italy. We do frequently see Argentine produce here, though- lemons, for example, are common.

Well, here's a new questions: what is the difference between Argentine and Italian Fernet? In SF, we get only the Italian version. I'm not sure I ever drank Fernet Branca in Argentina when I was sober enough to mark the distinguishing characteristics that set it apart from the Italian version. Are there any, really?

Fernet Branca is essentially the same in Italy and Argentina. Same company, same recipe. The Branca family still owns both distilleries. Some ingredients, like chamomille, are sourced locally, in Argentina for the Argentine Fernet, in Italy for the Italian stuff. So its possible there are small taste differences. There are a fair amount of newer, small batch Fernets now made in Argentina by other companies, and they may or may not taste different.
this guy says the argentine batches are less sweet. I dont know if this is true or not, could be.
https://www.alcademics.com/2013/06/...nca-distillery-in-buenos-aires-argentina.html

I will stand for Fernet, it's a favorite for the Argentinian youth. Because of it's alcoholic graduation 48 % . Kids throw away a third of the large Coke Bottle and refill with Fernet. So can do close to 4.5 liters of Fernet/ CoCa.Enough for 4...!:cool:

Not speaking of Fernet Branca $266 pesos a bottle , too expensive, but the local brands like Fernet Capri for $106 pesos . For US$ 2.50 four can get a buzz, before going to the Clubs/Previa to avoid buying drinks inside $$.. The taste who cares ?:rolleyes:

Back