Fibertel_Prov

TomAtAlki

Registered
I haven't had internet for a couple of days and have found a strong, no password router that I can use....Fibertel_Prov. Is this unsafe? Has anyone heard of this router? Is it a public wifi provided by Fibertel? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I hope my (Mac) computer isn't being totally invaded.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Tom and Nancy

You have found a WiFi network called "Fibertel_Prov" that is not protected by a password, right? It is likely somebody left it open by mistake. At some point, they will realize that and put some password protection. Fibertel Wifi service is called "Fibertel Zone". As to "is my mac totally invaded," do you use public WiFi in Starbucks or in hotels when you travel. How is this any different?

Go into your network settings, advanced, and get the router IP address. Often it's 192.168.0.1 or something similar. Go to it in your browser, sometimes you can see the login screen, find out what brand of router it is. Then google that router model plus "default password", and get the default admin login. This much is legal. Actually trying to log in to it may not be.

As far as I knew, this Wi-Fi was a scam? Don't take my word for it, but I am sure something is up with this. Do some more research or get an old phone and connect through that to test it.

Thank you all. I'm back on my own system now. Hopefully no damage was done while I was on Fibertel_Prov and hopefully I won't have to use it again in the future.

T/

Back