Finally moving in Feb - Pilar BA - Advice on Pilar?

evesal

Registered
I wrote a couple of months back looking for apartment advice as well as some money exchanging advice. Now that I have done all my research (however I still don't know where in Pilar I can exchange US dollars, advice there?) I was wondering if anyone could give me some background on life in Pilar.

I am 28 years old, I'll be going to grad school and living near my school in Pilar. I understand all the fun seems to be downtown closer to Puerto Madero, etc. So I am honestly a bit nervous about what there is to do in Pilar. I'm not too far from downtown but its still a drive away. I would love to be able to explore after class but is there anything cool to see in Pilar?

How is public transportation from Pilar to downtown BA? Any advice is helpful!

Thanks!

I wrote a couple of months back looking for apartment advice as well as some money exchanging advice. Now that I have done all my research (however I still don't know where in Pilar I can exchange US dollars, advice there?) I was wondering if anyone could give me some background on life in Pilar.

I am 28 years old, I'll be going to grad school and living near my school in Pilar. I understand all the fun seems to be downtown closer to Puerto Madero, etc. So I am honestly a bit nervous about what there is to do in Pilar. I'm not too far from downtown but its still a drive away. I would love to be able to explore after class but is there anything cool to see in Pilar?

How is public transportation from Pilar to downtown BA? Any advice is helpful!

Thanks!

Hi ! I have been living 20 years now in Pilar and would be happy to help you. I live there and work downtown. Let me know if of any use for you.
Welcome!
Andrew

Don't know about city buses, but I do know there's regular minivan service to and from town.

There is a regular bus between Pilar and the Palermo neighborhood in the city of BsAs (Plaza Italia, only about two blocks from the US Embassy). There is a subway station at Plaza Italia that you can take to downtown and get to Puerto Madero.

I wouldn't say puerto Madero is where the action is. More like Palermo. PM is kinda boring after you've been a few times.

57 Express Bus is your friend. Used to work at Pilar for a decade and could take a good nap in the bus. Almost an hour trip to and from Plaza Italia.
Avoid the train unless you have no other option. It can get really dangerous, specially if you look like a price target.

Iz

I presume its the USAL where you will be attending.
the 57 diferencial/express as recommended is the best way (the 57 comun stops a lot more and will take longer). get yourself a SUBE card from a kiosco and top it up.
ubers with a pool option work out reasonable late at night, most of the time you will be the only fare.
there are plenty of bars and restaurants & cinema in torres del sol which is about 2-3km away

you could always use money exchanges such as western union to send yourself money to collect in pesos. most of the ones listed on the western union page for pilar are not in operation, out of service etc. this is the main one in pilar https://locations.westernunion.com/...f?loc=Pilar,+Buenos+Aires+Province,+Argentina

Back in the 90´s, decentralizing the cities philosophy finally reached Buenos Aires and it became a serious trend that involved a large quantities of young adults with means that moved mainly to the then delopping Country Clubs around Pilar and other similar areas. They were looking for peace and quiet places, with private security, CCTV and walls instead of iron cast fences and bars.

(Police was so corrupt and disrrupted in those days that selling private security was a flourishing business like no other. Menem, trying to gain favors with Bill Clinton, imposed a complete ban on CCW permits that, unlike Clinton´s ban, has never expired.)

Posh neighborhoods like Recoleta lost their young to these Barrios Privados and are now populated mostly by decrepit old farts like me, circling the graveyard util their number is up.
These families that moved mostly North, have been raising, IMHO, children living in a bubble or, as I put it, in a dense cloud of farts. Way disconnected from reality. The whole smartphone and internet interacting craze has considerably raised the density of those farts in their heads. We´re now on our way of making I. Asimov´s Caves of Steel a reality.

BUT the rich folk in those Barrios Privados do not mingle with the population of Pilar. They contract their services and that is all. Period.
Two societies separated by walls and check points.

So, if I were to study in Pilar, I would take the time to scout the place thoroughly and seriously consider if it´s not better to wake up early and commute to USAL every day and return to BA after school. If you stay in Pilar, having your own means of transportation might not be an option but mandatory.

Worked at the Pilar Industrial Park for over 10 years and commuted by train, bus and car. Never stayed in Pilar city more than necessary.

I totally agree with Iznogud. At 28, even at my age, I’d be crazy bored in Pilar. I would live in CABA and commute to school. Plus, you’ll be sort of against the commute, assuming your school hours are similar to work. No reason to move to BA only to be stuck out in the boonies.

i worked in Pilar and not even at my age would ever live there unless I am behind bars in a gated community...not for me needless to say for someone young. YOu will spend time and money coming to the city

Back