Finding Work in Argnetina

antoinette

Registered
Eight years of living in Argentina has taught me a few things and one of the most ask questions I get is, “how do you find a job in BA”?

Ten Tips for Getting A Job in Argentina

There are a million and one reasons why you would choose to spend time in Buenos Aires, Argentina known as the Paris of South America. After those first few heady days or weeks here exploring the landscape of the city. You dined on tasty Argentine beef washing it down with one of the famed melbec wines, maybe you danced tango all night at a miloniga while trying to practice your high school Spanish. Congratulations, your hooked and ready to live here for ever, now what?

Unless you are independently wealth getting a job will key. So if you decided this is more than just a tourist stop to feed your soul, then here are ten tips to finding work so you don’t go hungry.

1. Do you speak Spanish? Learn the language because even though some English is spoken in the Buenos Aires if you don’t speak Spanish your work options are limited. There are literally dozens of language schools in Buenos Aires to take classes, while there ask if they will hire an English speakers as part time receptionist to work with incoming students.

2. Lower your salary expectations because more than likely you will be working for about half of what you earned in your homeland. At www.payscale.com you can compare incomes and countries. Be sure to update your resume highlighting special skills you bring to Argentine.

3. Are you committed? If you are you on a 90 day tourist visa your prospective boss may not want to invest time and money in training you. You can get a work visa if you have a job already lined up. Try volunteering it could lead to permanent work.
4. Before you quite your present job find out if your present employer would allow you to telecommute. Many expats maintain there legal residence in there home countries while living in Argentina.

5. Look for US, French and Spanish International and Multinationals Organizations with offices in Argentina. If hired you could expect a better salary than the typical Argentine wage.

6. Try a multi media search with online recruitment agencies and job boards that are active in Argentina, for example: www.easyexpat.com or look in local newspapers like: the Buenos Aires Herald, La Nación and El Clarín.

7. Life in Argentina is about social contacts. Networking can be very effective in finding a job become a member of US Chamber of Commerce or Club Europeo both offer social and business opportunities.

8. Socially conscious? Contact the department of Foreign Affairs in your home town. They can provide you with a list of NGO’s working in Argentina.

9. Check-out BA Newcomers, BAexpats and BAIN meet expats that are active in the community or have local business.

10. No job prospects and only enough Spanish to get by? Try offering your services to locals expats families: computer repair, life coaching, writing and editing, music lessons, massage therapy, math and English tutoring for children. Really the list is endless.

After living and working in Argentina for the last eight years as single women. I am happy to share my challenges and experiences, I have had some pretty amazing jobs. I love my life here, the trick is just making it work. I have no plans to ever leave.

Back