First It Was Easy Taxi, Now Uber Doa?!

I think taxi fares have gone up at least twice in in last 4-5 months.

I am mostly paying between 75 ( 5 usd) to 120 ( 8 usd) pesos for almost all my rides.

Taxi fares went up once in 2015 (18%) and once in 2016 (20%). That's about 10% below inflation in both years. So the taxi service, in real terms, has become much cheaper over the last two years. The only way Uber can lower prices is through tax evasion (not paying social security taxes for drivers, for example). If they pay the drivers the same way the taxicab owners do (with health benefits, for example) then Uber would not be cheaper.

The transit in BA is crazy enough with 30,000 taxis circulating all day. I can't imagine what is going to happen once there are 10,000 more Ubers on the road. It is going to collapse. Let's hope the government can block it.

Regards.

Taxi fares went up once in 2015 (18%) and once in 2016 (20%). That's about 10% below inflation in both years. So the taxi service, in real terms, has become much cheaper over the last two years. The only way Uber can lower prices is through tax evasion (not paying social security taxes for drivers, for example). If they pay the drivers the same way the taxicab owners do (with health benefits, for example) then Uber would not be cheaper.

I don't know the employment laws in Argentina, but in the US (and some other countries I know), independent contractors are responsible for paying all employment taxes themselves. There is no tax evasion by the "employer" in such cases.

And by the way, many long-established taxi companies in the US employ their drivers as independent contractors as well. A detail often overlooked.

Not here. You have employee and you have to pay about 45% tax. If you pretend to avoid that having them as monotributistas, then, it is labor fraud.

Right, Uber is 30% cheaper, wait! They are 10 times more expensive if they have a chance:
http://internacional.elpais.com/internacional/2016/04/08/actualidad/1460149627_956343.html

Back