Flying Away From Here

cuore

Registered
Just like that great Aerosmith's song I'll be flying away from BA before the end of the year. I have a job offer in Tokyo and I'll be leaving with my boyfriend who's also going through the job hunting process with a number of good prospects :D

I've been looking around the baexpats equivalents and I got tons of good info but what I need from you are recommendations on Japanese teachers/tutors so I pretend I'm not that much of an outsider (which I'll be anyways since I don't look Asian at all).

Since my departure is pretty imminent I prefer private classes rather than a big group.

Still, if any of you is familiar with Japan I'm open for any other suggestion or info

Thanks!!!

I lived in Japan for four years. Amazing country. Rich culture. There will always be interesting things to do and places to go to, easily accessible from Tokyo via their amazing railway system. Why don't you call the Japanese embassy and tell them your story? They might have some ideas. Good luck and enjoy what should be a remarkable experience.

Just like that great Aerosmith's song I'll be flying away from BA before the end of the year. I have a job offer in Tokyo and I'll be leaving with my boyfriend who's also going through the job hunting process with a number of good prospects :D

I've been looking around the baexpats equivalents and I got tons of good info but what I need from you are recommendations on Japanese teachers/tutors so I pretend I'm not that much of an outsider (which I'll be anyways since I don't look Asian at all).

Since my departure is pretty imminent I prefer private classes rather than a big group.

Still, if any of you is familiar with Japan I'm open for any other suggestion or info

Thanks!!!

As the late, great Diana Vreeland said of the land of the rising sun: “God was fair to the Japanese. He gave them no oil, no diamonds. He gave them style.” Truer words never spoken. I lived in Japan many years ago (the 60s!) and the experience changed my life forever. A marvelous people, a beautiful country, an exquisite culture.

Thanks!!!

tell us more about yourself... I'm sure there is a good story.

I never lived in Japan but go there for business trips very often when I was based in Asia Pacific. I do like many aspects about Japan, just hated the idea of ever working there after I come to understand firsthand how ordinary Japanese work.... the long senseless hours, the hierarchal order of workplace norms, waiting for the boss to leave before you do, which is always after 10pm, then the men will go drinking before taking a long commute (> 1 hour) to reach home. See family for 10 mins, go to bed and repeat the next day.

tell us more about yourself... I'm sure there is a good story.

I never lived in Japan but go there for business trips very often when I was based in Asia Pacific. I do like many aspects about Japan, just hated the idea of ever working there after I come to understand firsthand how ordinary Japanese work.... the long senseless hours, the hierarchal order of workplace norms, waiting for the boss to leave before you do, which is always after 10pm, then the men will go drinking before taking a long commute (> 1 hour) to reach home. See family for 10 mins, go to bed and repeat the next day.

thanks for all your comments. I'll definitely take a look at those websites

Actually, I'll be working at a foreign gov office from 9 to 5 so no Japanese boss or bad office hours, just a few local co-workers and plenty of expats. My b/f & I both hate commuting so we are certainly thinking about living on a tighter budget but as close to office as we can. Since we both grew up in the city we don't mind not having a backyard or something of the sort.

Although, I lived in a number of countries, I love all types of foodstyles and I adore learning different languages I'm mostly nervous about the big cultural shock. It'll be very different from anything I've experienced before... However, making it a permanent post depends on me so if I don't like it I could always leave.

I don’t think my Japanese would be good enough for grad school so I’ve already found some good Master’s degree programs in English. But I won’t explore that right away, I’ll need some time to settle.

I’ll have a pretty good support system both from my boyfriend and work and I’m super excited but there’s always some kind of fear of the unknown…

Horrible place, horrible weather, unfriendly people, very expensive.

Lived in various cities of Japan for a year.

Back