Flying In November 2Nd

slight_disregard

Registered
Hello all,

I'm just a 29 year old Californian dude and travelling enthusist who will be flying in to Buenos Aires November 2nd. My flight out is on the 28th so I have a lot of time to explore not just Buenos Aires but the surrounding areas as well. I don't know a soul in the entire South American continent.

I was just curious if anyone would like to give me some tips or recommendations on things to check out. I'm an amature sailor and I've chartered a few boats in the SF bay. I also love tennis and hiking. Always been interested in playing soccer but never felt comfortable being such a noob and not having any idea what I'm doing. Same story for dancing.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself before stepping on the plane. Can't wait to see it!

Hi slight_disregard, I'm from SF bay too. Where will you be staying? Most of the boating activity is up in Zona Norte (beautiful northern suburbs)

Hello! :) I'm actually from Sacramento but I make it out to the bay pretty frequently. I'll be staying in the Av de Mayo and Av 9 de Julio area. Is that considered northern BA? I can see on the map there are some docks somewhat nearby.

Av. de Mayo and 9 de Julio are in the city center aka microcentro. Beglrano, Nunez and Saavedra are the neighborhoods in the north whereas Villa Devoto, Villa Soldati and Nueva Pompeya are in the south.

buenos_aires_map.jpg

Hey, I watched tonight's Game 2 in a dive bar on Polk St.

Napoleon I didn't know you were a SF fan. Slight_disregard, you're in the thick of downtown, the nearby boats are in Puerto Madero; sorry I don't have any info on that.

If you like tennis there are more clay courts than anything else. It is a great time to enjoy playing on this surface. Rumor has it that The Meeting of the Styles is happening in November. This is an international event where street artists from around the world paint murals in various parts of the city. I think that you picked the best time to visit the city because of the weather.

You also might want to see about buying a bicycle as it is IMO the best way to get around the city. You can usually pick up a used fixed gear bike at the many local bike repair shops. Then with your bike you can enjoy all the new bicycle lanes and stay off the buses and subways that are usually crowded.

Rumor has it that The Meeting of the Styles is happening in November. This is an international event where street artists from around the world paint murals in various parts of the city.

Sounded cool so I looked it up, looks like it's postponed til next year :(
http://www.meetingofstyles.com/blog/21-23-november-2014-buenos-aires-argentina/

Yeah they got spanked pretty bad. I stopped watching at the top of the eighth.

That's too bad Meeting of the Styles won't be happening. Sounds like an awesome event.

@Desde - What do fixies usually run for?

slight_disregard - check bikes on craigslist BA for sale section and MercadoLibre.com (our weak ass local version of eBay).
You know about the blue dollar? In that case divide prices by 14.5 (today, maybe not tomorrow). If you don't know about the blue dollar, PM me.

Back