Flying through Brasil as a person from USA

LaurenW

Registered
I just booked a flight with TAM to Orlando from EZE that flies through Sao Paolo. They told me that I would need a "transit visa" just to stop in Sao Paulo since, as a US citizen, I am going to be there "overnight" arriving on 7/24 evening and departing at 1 am 7/25. My layover is 1.5 hours. I flew through Brasil on the way to Argentina and didn't get a visa. Anyone have any experience here? Do I really need this? How much would this kind of visa cost? I realize I can call the embassy tomorrow but I was hoping someone here could give me some info. Thanks!!

Is it TAM all the way on the same ticket EZE-GRU-MCO? If you are not entering Brazil you should not need a visa. You will never go through customs or immigration assuming you have checked your bags all the way from EZE-MCO. Be sure that your bags are tagged "MCO" and that you have boarding passes for BOTH flights at EZE.
For authoritative data see: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/
And do verify all of this with the embassy or embassy web site as policies can change.

While there are some countries that require a transit visa just for flying through their airport, it has always been my understanding that Brazil is not one of them. I do believe they have a restriction of something like 7 or 8 hours that you can stay in the airport without a transit visa in the context of a layover, but you should be comfortably within that window.

If they required a transit visa just to bounce through the airport, nobody would ever fly through Brazil.

AlexanderB said:
If they required a transit visa just to bounce through the airport, nobody would ever fly through Brazil.

Avoiding Brazil seems like a good idea to me. :p What happens if you get stuck there because of a flight delay (missing your connection) or a cancellation? I've been stuck at airports before, and it's not fun... it's especially not fun if you're not "allowed" to be there past a certain amount of time. :rolleyes:

I'd suggest calling the airline as well and getting a second opinion on whether the visa is really needed or not or if you need to present it at check in. If it's their policy for "overnight" trips, then no matter what the embassy says, if they won't let you get on the plane without the visa you may have trouble at check in. I'm really not sure how they handle that.

Hope you don't need it and that all goes smoothly. :)

Yes, if you are American, you are required to get a transit visa for Brazil. This is due to the "reciprocity" rule of the Brazilian foreign policy. The principle guiding this Brazilian policy is very simple. It is basically states: Fuck with us and we will fuck with you.

Since Brazilians are required by the US to have transit VISA when passing thru an American airport, Brazil requires the same from US (and only US) citizens. The moment the US stops requiring transit VISA from Brazilians citizens, Brazil will reciprocate. Until then.....

Back