Flying to Argentina with more electronics than a normal person

Tremelune

Registered
I'm a photographer and software engineer heading to Argentina to get our new partners up to speed on our project and to spearhead our own presence in the country. I'll be around for several months at least. I'm heading from Los Angeles to Santiago to Mendoza with lots of gear, particularly:

- Several DSLR lenses
- Large laptop, laptop, small laptop
- Projector
- 22" LCD screen

When I fly in the US, they usually search my electronics bag, which is fine. My fear is that someone in Chile or Argentina might view this as "intent to sell" (for lack of a better phrase) and try and collect an absurd amount of taxes from me on the spot.

Are my fears unfounded since I'm not shipping any of these items, or will the cost of my flight double via shake-down? My understanding is that it's rather difficult to procure expensive electronics in South America, so I'd rather bring what I have with me if I can.

I would bring business cards, any photos you may have of you using the equipment, and any information that you may have on your company. (Brochure or something along those lines. Maybe a PDF or video presentation.)

Technically it shouldn't be a problem, but I would say that it's about 50/50 that it will be.

As long as things aren't in their original boxes, you've already got a jump not having problems.

If the OS was activated long ago and the computer's content looks more than a couple of days old, then you're better off as well.

If the equipment is in carrying cases that look like they've been out of a store more than a day, that's good too.

I doubt you'll have a problem. Usually it is Argentine nationals who have issues with customs. Flying many times through EZE with computers, etc., I have never had an issue as an expat.

I would be more concerned about the security of your stuff in the bags. Carry on whatever you can rather than check it, and get insurance.

I havent had a problem with electronics coming into argentina, and on several occasions have brought in extra laptops, external hard disks, wifi routers etc for locals as prices are double in arg to back home..

But saying that its all in bags, so i dont have a big box with a picture of an LCD tv or computer or what ever on it, and i dont have the large hard suit cases either.. unlike some people i see at the airports with a new LCD TV in a box that attracts the attention of the customs guy.. I have never been scanned in BA coming into the country, and have always been waved through when they are scanning/screening people, but i only carry a backpack, sometimes a sports bag fill of crap i buy to bring to arg, and my small backpack i take on plane with me..

I do know of people who have brought in new laptops to arg, and the customs guy has made them pay import duty (sometimes as much as the price they paid for it) due to the fact it was new - they check manufacture date on back and turned it on..

I dont think chile will be a problem, as they always scan me, and the customs guy has never said anything even when i have heaps of stuff - a couple of laptops, professional video gear etc..

I arrived in BA with my photography equipment: 2 laptops, 2 DSLRs, lenses, off camera flashes, stands, umbrellas, and had no issue at all. One laptop was relatively new with less than a month of usage. I was questioned and allowed through with no issues.

I'm returning next month with more equipment, larger lights amongst other gear, and am confident there wont be any issues once again. As long as you pack things responsibly, like the other guys are saying, meaning NOT in their original boxes etc., I wouldn't worry about it.

I would go with Napoleon's advice and make sure you can prove that these are your tools, this is your job, etc. I've never been checked until last September when I brought in an old motherboard (bought on Ebay,) loose, not in a box, in my carry-on bag. It cost U$D 4.00. When I told them the price they didn't care. But,..I was surprised that they had checked me.

I arrived here two weeks ago, and I brought:

- 13" Macbook Pro
- iPad
- iPhone 4
- Canon DSLR + Lenses
- Amazon Kindle
- Kodak HD camera
- Canon Point and Shoot

Nobody said a thing, and customs was quick and painless. So doubt you'll have a problem.

I guess I'm not the only gadget hound in these parts...Good to hear.

To follow up, it all went smoothly. I was asked a few questions in Mendoza, but I explained (poorly) what my work was and that I was here for a few months. He seemed to grow tired of my awful language skills and just let me go.

Back