Flying with a baby, any advice?

va2ba

Registered
I can't believe that I never thought to ask this before now, but Wednesday night we are flying from Buenos Aires to Washington DC and we are taking our 10 month old daughter with us. It is a 10 and a half hour flight.

Does anyone who has already done this have any advice about what we should do to help make our trip easier. She will be flying on my lap, not in a seat, and I will have her for most of the flight since my wife is 6 and a half months pregnant.

Also, any advice for flying while pregnant?

Check in early and ask for a row with an empty seat between you. Bring a car seat and the baby's favorite blanket and toy.

va2ba said:
I can't believe that I never thought to ask this before now, but Wednesday night we are flying from Buenos Aires to Washington DC and we are taking our 10 month old daughter with us. It is a 10 and a half hour flight.

Does anyone who has already done this have any advice about what we should do to help make our trip easier. She will be flying on my lap, not in a seat, and I will have her for most of the flight since my wife is 6 and a half months pregnant.

Also, any advice for flying while pregnant?

Put the baby in your checked in luggage so as not bother me in the odd chance I am on that flight.

Check infant dosages for xanax?

Seriously though, some babies have no problem with planes, others scream and fuss and are general demons. The only real advice I can give is that pressure changes upon landing (and to a lesser extent takeoff) can be difficult for a baby even more if they're even the slightest bit congested. I've heard that its a good idea to try to feed and/or give the baby something to chew on during these times but, thankfully, no first hand experience.

Is your wife still breast-feeding? Is so, if she has a glass of wine or two before the fight, it can help the baby sleep;)

Ascent/descent are the most traumatic part for kids. Make sure your daughter is drinking something or has a pacifier during that time - it will make it easier on her while the cabin pressure equalizes. Other than that - some toys, some books to read to her as the sound of your voice will be comforting, a favorite blanket - whatever you can do to make it a more comfortable experience for her (and your fellow passengers!)

Stoopid questions, I know, but someone has to ask them: do the airline know, are they expecting you, have you checked the customer service faq? What you want to happen is that you get into their system, that they are expecting you and will arrange for you all to sit together in a part of the plane where you will have some peace and so will the other passengers - and all the baby-stuff you want to carry on board will be expected. If you've booked through an intermediary this might not be automatic. If you've booked direct with the airline you should already have a pretty good idea of how they want to manage this. If you have any doubts, don't wait until you roll up for check-in, give the airline a call this morning.

Alrighty. Try to check in online if you can and get two seats at the bulk head (the little wall separator thing) so you can get a bassinet. Make sure your baby is light enough and don't get offended if the crew ask how much she weighs because heavier babies can break the bassinets on light bumps. Also take your baby out of the bassinet when the seatbelt sign is on because in case of turbulence, your baby can jump out of the bassinet (seen it, not pretty). (You also want to be close to a toilet because not only are you going to need to change your baby but also your wife's pregnant).

Take enough supplies with you to last you for the flight. Lots of parents assume the airline SHOULD have diapers, milk etc but they might not or might have run out.

Even if you're checked in online, show up as early as possible to avoid frustrations and discomfort. Usually baggage check in, immigration and security are no fun and they get worse if you're carrying a baby with you!

If your baby starts crying, don't feel shy about picking her up and walking up and down the aisle. But different companies have different policies so ask the flight attendants before you do that.

Finally, in case of an emergency, ask them for the baby life jacket bed thing (can't remember what it was called). Hope you don't have to worry about that though.

We have done that United flight few times now with our now 20 month yr old - typically good flight with great on board staff. Best tip is to go online and pick two seats in middle section of plane, both on either aisle where there is an empty middle so hopefully you get to keep it for baby. I suggest seats as far to the back of plane so you are close to the galley to make it easy to get water, heat milk etc. Also, you'll bother less people from back, less people will bother you, and baby is less distracted if not right in the middle of the plane. Be sure to bring birth certificate, dni and passport. You cannot exit without birth certificate. Most importantly, bring your sense of humor and adventure and everything will work out fine. Cheers!

Back