Folded US $100 bills

Summer

Registered
Do Cuevas care if the bills are folded? What’s up with the older design being seen as less valuable?

It’s so strange, BEP in US has said so many times, bill condition doesn’t change its value. Nor does the age and design matter. All US banks notes from 1861 and newer are all equally valid. Why can’t Argentines listen to the official source? I believe there was a campaign from some of the US embassies in a few African countries to educate people on US dollar bills not changing in value from age or quality… they should do the same in Argentina.

Last edited:
Do Cuevas care if the bills are folded? What’s up with the older design being seen as less valuable?

It’s so strange, BEP in US has said so many times, bill condition doesn’t change its value. Nor does the age and design matter. All US banks notes from 1861 and newer are all equally valid. Why can’t Argentines listen to the official source? I believe there was a campaign from some of the US embassies in a few African countries to educate people on US dollar bills not changing in value from age or quality… they should do the same in Argentina.
They want new crisp perfect bills, big face, magnetic stripe.. Old crumpled dirty bills will not be accepted or not be given full value.. Even a corner missing from a new bill will not be accepted. That's just the way it is.

They want new crisp perfect bills, big face, magnetic stripe.. Old crumpled dirty bills will not be accepted or not be given full value.. Even a corner missing from a new bill will not be accepted. That's just the way it is.

This.

It's not a legal, regulated marketplace and they can set whatever conditions they want.

It's not a legal, regulated marketplace and they can set whatever conditions they want.
In a legal, regulated, but free marketplace, they should also be able to do what they want.

It is objectively more difficult to detect counterfeit notes in case of dollars with "cara chica". If they receive bills that nobody wants to buy, they would have to bring them to a bank in the States for exchange, which incurs an additional cost.

And why do you think cuevas should follow the regulations of the USA government?

toto-kansas-65999046.jpg

Are you in the US? What legal basis do you have that someone in a foreign country is legally required to accept US currency?
I thought that was exactly my point. Forget the United States, they are an irrelevancy here. Forget which foreign currency is involved because the key factor is that cuevas are not legally recognised in Argentina and any transaction anybody undertakes with them is entirely at their own risk. Likewise, cuevas take a risk every time a stranger brings them a bundle of notes and they choose to mitigate that risk by only accepting what they choose to accept. As a store 200 miles from anywhere in the Australian outback said to me when I complained that a product was three months out of date, "If you don't like it, you can always go somewhere else, mate."

Folded as in carrying them in your wallet folded does not change anything.

If you think the idea is ridiculous, you could buy old/folded bills, bring them back to the US, and exchange them for new big face Benjamins and bring them back here yourself. If you calculate out the numbers, you'll most likely find that the difference in price between new bills and old/damaged bills is roughly exactly what it would cost to do that in volume.

Back