Food revolution bypasses Buenos Aires

nikad said:
Your rude uneducated tone and lack of manners prevent me from discussing anything with you any further sorry.

Ok, where did that come from? My last intention was to be rude. But if you state something about a country where you clearly never been, and it happens to be untrue? Is it then bad manners to correct that?

blondie said:
Ok, where did that come from? My last intention was to be rude. But if you state something about a country where you clearly never been, and it happens to be untrue? Is it then bad manners to correct that?
Blondie, calling anybody an ignorant is not in my book good manners: you do not know me, or my education or background. Since I have never been to Sweden, I clearly stated that my appreciation would be limited. If you can read between lines, it was supposed to be more of a figure of speech. I enjoy discussions, corrections, etc, but with respect.

Can you please quote where I have said that everything Argentine is the best? You have a full two years of my posts to do so.

I don't wish to join a fight, but, so far as I can see or remember, "nikad" is correct in implying that her posts have always been sensible and measured. She's not chauvinistic.

And I agree with her that "blondie"'s post came across as brusque, at best. If we remember that "blondie" is writing in a foreign language, though, we might do well to excuse that quality as arising not from intent but from unfamiliarity with English.

So, in the immortal words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

Nikad>> Ok, sorry, I didn't mean to come out as harsh as I did, I prob should have put in one of those smiley-faces in it: :) !
I meant it in a jesting way that you'd be forgiven for not knowing so much about swedish food culture... (about reading between the lines etc...) which not very many ppl outside of Sweden do, and neither do I expect them to. Still, coming from a very small country I have to put up with people saying ignorant things about Sweden all the time (IF they even know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland...)

Reactions: RWS
blondie said:
Nikad>> Ok, sorry, I didn't mean to come out as harsh as I did, I prob should have put in one of those smiley-faces in it: :) !
I meant it in a jesting way that you'd be forgiven for not knowing so much about swedish food culture... (about reading between the lines etc...) which not very many ppl outside of Sweden do, and neither do I expect them to. Still, coming from a very small country I have to put up with people saying ignorant things about Sweden all the time (IF they even know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland...)
No problem :) I guess I will then have to try that pizza if I ever make it to Sweden ;) ... and as I do, I will of course have tons of Smorgasbord - excuse the typos. Geez and now I am hungry :p
I honestly didn´t know there were Italian immigrants there either.

Haha, you are welcome over here on a proper swedish smörgåsbord, anytime! :p

blondie said:
Ok, that was ignorant, to say the least. But it also shows quite clearly that you haven't been to Sweden (yet) so you are forgiven.

nikad said:
Blondie, calling anybody an ignorant is not in my book good manners: you do not know me, or my education or background.

As an English teacher, I have to clear up the confusion that happens when two non-native English speakers discuss things in English.

"Ok, that was ignorant."- This is a statement that means that the quote that it refers to is "ignorant". NOT the person who made the quote, just the quote.

Dictionary.net defines "ignorant" as:

1) Destitute of knowledge; uninstructed or uninformed; untaught; unenlightened.
2) Unknown; undiscovered.

Thus, the use of the word "ignorant" was absolutely correct. Sorry Nikad.

However, you picked the wrong quote to say that Blondie was being rude. If you had picked this quote:

blondie said:
...but swedes do know what a good pizza is and wouldn't go for anything less. My local pizza place is i.e owned by an hungarian and my argentine boyfriend admitted it was the best pizza he ever had had (but the argentine average pizza being so bad, it doesn't count for much, I know...).

Then you could say that Blondie was being "rude" or "condescending".

Obviously the people on this board like Buenos Aires or they wouldn't be here, but it's frustrating when people with taste buds are forced to endure Argentine food because (especially) porteños have such a lack of creativity and taste buds (condescending), it's nearly impossible to find a good meal in this town at a reasonable price. (true, condescending, sad... but maybe the reason there aren't even more extranjeros)

PS- For the person who wants a comparison of Texas BBQ vs. Argentine Asado, I will get to it soon. (Again, the foreigners win out with creativity & flavor and the locals win out with price and use of entrails.)

Napoleon said:
As an English teacher, I have to clear up the confusion that happens when two non-native English speakers discuss things in English.

"Ok, that was ignorant."- This is a statement that means that the quote that it refers to is "ignorant". NOT the person who made the quote, just the quote.

Dictionary.net defines "ignorant" as:

1) Destitute of knowledge; uninstructed or uninformed; untaught; unenlightened.
2) Unknown; undiscovered.

Thus, the use of the word "ignorant" was absolutely correct. Sorry Nikad.

However, you picked the wrong quote to say that Blondie was being rude. If you had picked this quote:

Then you could say that Blondie was being "rude" or "condescending".

Obviously the people on this board like Buenos Aires or they wouldn't be here, but it's frustrating when people with taste buds are forced to endure Argentine food because (especially) porteños have such a lack of creativity and taste buds (condescending), it's nearly impossible to find a good meal in this town at a reasonable price. (true, condescending, sad... but maybe the reason there aren't even more extranjeros)

PS- For the person who wants a comparison of Texas BBQ vs. Argentine Asado, I will get to it soon. (Again, the foreigners win out with creativity & flavor and the locals win out with price and use of entrails.)

I appreciate the correction :) Now I still think it was kind of rude: see, if the quote was ignorant, that quote was made by somebody - me in this case, a quote to be such has to be associated to the speaker, so if you call my quote ignorant, then you also call me ignorant... ( more input will be appreciated ) But he, I already kissed and made up with Blondie! :)

Just to clarify: I love Buenos Aires. I don't like the food though. So I take the liberty of being condencendent about that. Sorry.

Back