Football/Soccer in Argentina....

Mira Vos!

Registered
Would be curious to see how the daily Football culture compares to those that grew up in the UK. I'm assuming it's a lot more present than Basketball/American Football for those that grew up in the US.

From the outside looking in Argentina has some of the craziest supporters in the world, Boca and River are two massive clubs. If things clear up by the time I plan on going (July) likely will become a "socio" (club member) of a club.

I think the supporters themselves are similar to those in the UK. I think the fact away supporters are not allowed here has really harmed the concept of the fan in Argentina. Fans here are also quite insular and short on knowledge. That said, like in the UK and Europe, for some people, football plays a major role in their lives. Perhaps outside the UK and Brazil, Argentina is the most football-focused nation.

I have also noticed the fake fan is a very real thing here.

For example, let’s take the cliche, which is mostly true, that men love football and women do not. In the UK, this would be played out as the man loves football and the woman could care less. A wife with no interest in football would have no care about teams etc. in Argentina, everyone has a team. So, you ask the wife and she will say, “I support Boca” and pretend they are passionate about it.

Then you go, “fantastic, did you see this game when that player scored a goal” and she will reply “what game, who’s that, and what’s a goal?” The classic fake fan, which you get from some guys in the UK. It’s fair enough, but you don’t really support a team if you are not affected either way by their fortunes or misfortunes.

I think the supporters themselves are similar to those in the UK. I think the fact away supporters are not allowed here has really harmed the concept of the fan in Argentina. Fans here are also quite insular and short on knowledge. That said, like in the UK and Europe, for some people, football plays a major role in their lives. Perhaps outside the UK and Brazil, Argentina is the most football-focused nation.

I have also noticed the fake fan is a very real thing here.

For example, let’s take the cliche, which is mostly true, that men love football and women do not. In the UK, this would be played out as the man loves football and the woman could care less. A wife with no interest in football would have no care about teams etc. in Argentina, everyone has a team. So, you ask the wife and she will say, “I support Boca” and pretend they are passionate about it.

Then you go, “fantastic, did you see this game when that player scored a goal” and she will reply “what game, who’s that, and what’s a goal?” The classic fake fan, which you get from some guys in the UK. It’s fair enough, but you don’t really support a team if you are not affected either way by their fortunes or misfortunes.

Thanks for the response, interesting. Must have been CRAZY to be there when Boca and River played each other in the final of the Copa Libertadores in the 2018 final. I understand what you mean with the "fake fan"...my parents are from Glasgow are just about anyone (whether they are a hardcore football fan or could barely care) will say they are a Celtic or Rangers supporter. I think part of it is is cultural then the other is family tradition

Thanks for the response, interesting. Must have been CRAZY to be there when Boca and River played each other in the final of the Copa Libertadores in the 2018 final. I understand what you mean with the "fake fan"...my parents are from Glasgow are just about anyone (whether they are a hardcore football fan or could barely care) will say they are a Celtic or Rangers supporter. I think part of it is is cultural then the other is family tradition
It’s a shame that final was in Madrid, but I know someone who was there’s and the atmosphere was outstanding according to them. Argentina still has the old school feel that the UK left behind in when the Premier League started. Much of the changes made were for the better in terms of safety following the Bradford City fire and of course, Hillsborough. However, something was also lost in terms of atmosphere. Argentina still has that but needless to say the stadiums are nowhere near at the level of Europe. I think the Bundesliga has done a good job treading a line between old school atmosphere without compromising safety.

Used to enjoy watching the big teams when the games were free to watch on the TV. When that ended I took no further interest in Argentine football. Not that I've been to any but I'm not so sure the local derby games here have any better an atmosphere than those in the UK.

The thing that gets me here is when I switch on the television to watch a game only to discover that they broadcast the crowd for 90 minutes instead. What's that about?

(Separately, gotta love the cynicism of announcing the return of the league the day a new récord of coronavirus virus cases is announced. They are truly pathetic.)

Only allowing home fans and only allowing socios is a problem too. Most games are played in half empty stadiums.

Whose idea was it to have the Merseyside derby and the Old Firm derby at the same time? Somebody who doesn't like Stephen Gerrard perhaps.

What is the best way here to watch football? Especially i am interested in
* local football league
* English Premier League
* Copa Libertadores
* UEFA Champions League
(If as a bonus it also includes games of the German and Spanish leagues, even better)

ideally it would be internet based. Any recommendations?

for broadcasts that are on US channels, you could use USTVGO

Back