For Sale - 4x4 Toyota 4Runner 04

pdesj

Registered
We are a French couple travelling by car for one year in the Americas, from the USA to Argentina.

We sell our car, a TOYOTA 4Runner, at the end of our trip in Argentina, in mid-August 2010.

We bought the car in Virginia, USA, in July 2009. It was Toyota certified and we had it regularly revised every 5000 miles. It has been entirely reliable and we have had no mechanical problem of any sort so far. It is an excellent car for travelling in Argentina!

Details:
Toyota 4Runner Limited V8, 4x4
2004, Silver, Automatic, Gasoline
Approx. 82000 miles (currently, 73000 miles)
Price much under its market value in South America.

+ we can sell camping gear, maps and guides !

Do not hesitate to contact us for pictures or more details

Paul
[email protected]

If you enter Argentina on a tourist visa with a motor vehicle it will probably be noted in your passport and/or entered in the computer. It would not be legal for you to sell it here and very difficult if not impossible for the buyer to register it here.

http://www.fastlaneshipping.com/argentina.php

MOTOR VEHICLES

• Diplomats are permitted to import used or new autos
  • Used cars can be imported by Argentinean returning citizens (abroad for at least two years) or immigrants with residence in Argentina
  • Importation of new cars is subject to Ministry of Commerce regulations and is limited to certain makes and models. Essential to check with customs authority.
  • Cars for private use are subject to duty
  • One car per adult if over 21 years old, but two per family.
  • Cars must have been registered in customers name and must have been purchased or transferred to customer a minimum of three months before the customer arrives in Argentina
  • Cars must not be sold for at least one year after clearance
  • Cars must be imported within six months of customers arrival
  • Documents required:
    • Original Purchase Invoice
    • Title
    • Certificate of Residence
    • Original Passport
    • Original license
    • Certification from an Argentinian custom authority, establishing that customer has been living in the country of origin during the last 12 months. This is authoritatively ordered.
    • 2 Original Bill of Ladings must be in Shippers name
    • Separate Ocean Bills of Lading are required-one for household goods and one for the auto (even if the household goods and auto are both in container)
  • Argentine returning nationals or People who import with a permanent visa will pay duties of 78.20% on CIF value. Cars cannot be picked up from customs unless the duties have been paid.
  • An Argentine citizen who has already imported a car before may not import a 2nd car.

Change your plan. Sell it somewhere but Argentina is not the place.

Ignore the prior two posts. You can easily sell the vehicle to another foreigner. I bought one a few weeks ago. The process i and the seller used was to meet in Colonia, Uruguay. He exited UGY and I entered ARG. The transaction happened on the ferry. It worked perfectly. I suspect you could even do the reverse of you exiting ARG, and the buyer entering UGY. ARG provides a Temp Vehicle Import Permit (TVIP) of 8 months. UGY is 12 months. You can leave the country and not take your car with you if you want, as long as you return and take the car out before the TVIP expires.

When the buyer enters ARG with the car, they must have the vehicle registration in their name. This might be hard for you to accomplish as the car is plated in the USA. I am sure you can figure something out.

Forget about selling it legally to an Argentine...It is impossible...It is even impossible to sell it for scrap. Your only option is to sell to another tourist or temp resident. You might even be able to sell to a permanent resident, but i am not sure. For someone who is a temp resident enroute to becoming permanent, buying a car like this is pretty smart. When a temp resident becomes permanent, they have the option of importing (nationalizing) the car by putting ARG plates on it. There is a customs tax of course, but it is possible to do.

gunt86 said:
Ignore the prior two posts. You can easily sell the vehicle to another foreigner.

gunt86 said:
The transaction happened on the ferry.

gunt86 said:
When the buyer enters ARG with the car, they must have the vehicle registration in their name. This might be hard for you to accomplish as the car is plated in the USA.

gunt86 said:
Forget about selling it legally to an Argentine...It is impossible...It is even impossible to sell it for scrap.

gunt86 said:
You might even be able to sell to a permanent resident, but i am not sure.

gunt86 said:
There is a customs tax of course, but it is possible to do.

gunt86 said:
ARG provides a Temp Vehicle Import Permit (TVIP) of 8 months.

So an Illegal transaction on a ferry, then you have the right to own the vehicle for 8 months before having to export it from the country, I wouldn't buy it even it you paid me!

There was nothing illegal about the transaction. It happened in neither UGY or ARG territory. I can assure of that. Furthermore, the owner of the car must only exit and re-enter ARG every 8 months to get a new TVIP. There is nothing strange about this as many people do it in the Mendoza region with Chile-plated cars.

gunt86 said:
...the owner of the car must only exit and re-enter ARG every 8 months to get a new TVIP....

Does anyone know the "consequences" of failure to exit within the 8 month period?

steveinbsas said:
Does anyone know the "consequences" of failure to exit within the 8 month period?

I have been asking that question on this forum and others for a month. If you find out, please tell me. I have heard of fines as low as 1% of the vehicle's value. One guy paid 18 pesos. I have also heard of fines of US$5000. all of this is just hearsay though. Those are fines on exit obviously. If you are stopped by the police, you may be able to solve the problem with some pesos. I have also heard that it is possible to renew the TVIP at Aduanas without leaving the country...I really would like to find out more about this.

gunt86 said:
There was nothing illegal about the transaction. It happened in neither UGY or ARG territory. I can assure of that. Furthermore, the owner of the car must only exit and re-enter ARG every 8 months to get a new TVIP. There is nothing strange about this as many people do it in the Mendoza region with Chile-plated cars.

You are very, very clever, Gunt86, but clever=/=legal. There are no international waters between Colonia and Buenos Aires so the transaction occurred in one state or the other. And if you find you can't remember exactly where you were then the nationality of the vessel will come into play: I don't think there are any Panamanian-registered ferries on the Colonia run, are there?

I would only buy a car if it is legally registered and insured in Argentina and the owner has all the ABL taxes paid and up to date. It will be more problems than it is worth if this is not the case. Just buy a car here legally. Or ask the owner to register it here first and THEN sell it to you.

Does anyone really want to buy a car that can't be legally registered, sold or even insured in Argentina ?

Lol. Good luck with that.

Back