Form To Fill Out Before Getting Packages At Retiro

Also I find it very annoying that I have to pay taxes to receive a gift! I love this city and country, but only when I don't have to get anything done or be in anyway involved in the bureaucracies of the systems here. Then it's hell on earth :angry:

I had to pay 40 ARS to Correo to get my mail and go to Retiro to collect it, but luckily owed none to Customs. It was not stuff, just bulky check box who made them suspect there was something taxable inside. Wasted a morning to collect it.

I like to daydream about what I would change if I found myself in the position of Queen of Argentina. The post is my #1 thing. :p

Also I find it very annoying that I have to pay taxes to receive a gift! I love this city and country, but only when I don't have to get anything done or be in anyway involved in the bureaucracies of the systems here. Then it's hell on earth :angry:

Can you post a photo of the form that has the instructions for you? If you have a CUIL and clave fiscal you can go to the AFIP website and process the declaracion jurada without an accountant.

I wanted to share my recent (as of today) experience with picking up mail, as I managed to get through with relatively little stress.

I received an aviso on Monday this week saying I had received a package from Nauru (although I knew it was from Norway because my friend had told me she was sending something for my birthday.... a month ago) so I went along, and attempted the best 'me hago la boluda' act I could muster. I told the first guy, who was security 'I'm not from here.' He said Sos extranjera? and told me to fill in the back of the form with my name and document number and get in line. I then had three separate lines to queue up in. It's the national sport.

1. After the first line they give you a number and you wait to the side. They call your number, you go up, they check your documents and you go to the next line, which on a busy day goes all the way out the door.

2. This line is to pay, and they will charge you the initial $AR40 for their troubles and $AR8 per day for being so kind as to store your package. So even though my slip was dated 13/4, they charged me for two days storage (I'm sure that's arbitrary though, they know that the slips aren't sent out the same day they are printed). So I paid $AR66.

3. After paying, they tear off your slip and leave you just a portion with a 6 or 7-digit number. Then you sit and watch the screen for your number to appear and when it does it's your turn to go to the Island. Just kidding. You go through to the back room where the officials call you one by one to collect your goods. The official found my package, told me to follow him to his computer where he asked me for the AFIP form. Again I told him I'm a foreigner, I have no 'clave fiscal'. Being Friday afternoon at 4.45pm he couldn't care less. He took a stanley knife and opened up my package while asking me 'What's in here?' I said that I had no idea, which was true. Well, I was hoping for marzipan chocolate but it turned out to be five different times of liquorice, including salty liquorice. Obviously well under the AR$66 I paid for receiving it. And the two hours I spent waiting. And the one hour each way to get to Retiro and back. And the risk of being deported for being illegal.

But hey, I had an enriching cultural experience and got to complain and sympthasise with a few Argentines who were buying replacement parts for their cars or motorbikes. But really the whole thing is kind of depressing and it's to be avoided if you can help it.

I think I mentioned this previously
Several years ago, I had to get a new credit card from my bank in Prague.
When it arrived here, I had to pay about 60-70 pesos the usd was at 3! some $20 usd to get my credit card and the reason was is that i was get an imported good. A tiny plastic credit card with my name with NO commercial resale value! I wasn't going to pay but I needed the card! A TOTAL FRAUD AND RIP OFF!!!! Such is our daily life !

Back