Former Military calls Chileans Swines and not surprisingly they get a little upset.

scotttswan said:
Dunno if there wasn't an airfield with a couple of planes, a few soldiers doing training and a boat with loads of guns floating about i wouldn't put it past Cristina to order another invasion.

The only way Argentinian troops could invade the islands today would be by swimming all the way there. The Argentinian Navy(ARA), for all intents and purposes no longer exists as a fighting force. It has only four frigates and their maintenance has been spotty at best.

camberiu said:
Non-sense. A large segment of the Chilean society has a good image of Pinochet because, despite being a bloody dictator, his administration turned the Chilean economy around and laid the foundation for the longest sustained period of economic growth for a single nation in South American history. Had the Argentinian military junta accomplished the same, instead of running this country into the ground with hyper-inflation, recession and a humiliating military defeat, this society would be as divided as the Chilean in regards of the historical judgment of its dictators.

We, Latin Americans, love our dictators. Our paternalistic, hierarchical and authoritarian mindsets are fertile ground for Pinochets, Vargas, Galtieris, Perons, Strossners and Chavez of the world. The only problem is that much more often than not, our "beloved dictators" screw up big time. That is why they are not unanimously revered all the time. To imply that the fact that a good chunk of the Chilean society is reticent about democracy is in any way an exception in Latin America, is to be disingenuous.
How many "popular supported" dictatorships has the "freedom loving" Argentinian society had over the past century of so?

And what is the nonsense??? As always you have a problem to read between lines and put in my mouth things I never said or implied. When did I implied "To imply that the fact that a good chunk of the Chilean society is reticent about democracy is in any way an exception in Latin America, is to be disingenuous." That is your poor conclusion based on your preconceptions, not mine. The fact that the love for Pinochet says something with respect to the Chilean society does not mean it may not apply to other LAT.

I think you have an issue with me cause whatever I write, you jump your guns at me with total nonsenses. Maybe it is because of the very first time we debated here until your google skills run out. I think you need to overcome that. You are lucky to be in Buenos Aires where there is almost a shrink per square meter.

PS: since you love to quote wikipedia as your source of definitive knowledge, here you have the definition of hyperinflation and a bit of history about hyperinflation in Argentina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation#Argentina) As you will see, there was not hyerinflation during the Junta as you claimed.

expatinowncountry said:
I think you have an issue with me cause whatever I write, you jump your guns at me with total nonsenses. Maybe it is because of the very first time we debated here until your google skills run out. I think you need to overcome that. You are lucky to be in Buenos Aires where there is almost a shrink per square meter.

PS: since you love to quote wikipedia as your source of definitive knowledge, here you have the definition of hyperinflation and a bit of history about hyperinflation in Argentina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation#Argentina) As you will see, there was not hyerinflation during the Junta as you claimed.

Right. Whatever you say.

At any rate, here is what you said:
"Chile is an interesting country... a few weeks ago, there were massive events to celebrate the memory of Augusto Pinochet. That says a lot about (part of) the Chilean society."

If I misunderstood you and you did not mean to imply that Chile was an exception in LATAM, my most sincere and heartfelt apologies.However, I ask that you kindly clarify what did you mean to say with this statement. Why the fact that a few weeks ago a group of people celebrated the memory of Pinochet makes Chile an interesting country? And what this even says (a lot) about part of Chilean society?
Please note that I do not disagree with you that Chile is an interesting country. However, I am puzzled on to why you felt the need to put together Chile as an interesting country and the celebrations of the memory of Pinochet, if you were not implying that it was something unique of Chilean society.

Please let me know, as I do not want to carry this doubt with me as I go seeking the shrink that you suggested.

camberiu said:
Right. Whatever you say.

At any rate, here is what you said:
"Chile is an interesting country... a few weeks ago, there were massive events to celebrate the memory of Augusto Pinochet. That says a lot about (part of) the Chilean society."

If I misunderstood you and you did not mean to imply that Chile was an exception in LATAM, my most sincere and heartfelt apologies.However, I ask that you kindly clarify what did you mean to say with this statement. Why the fact that a few weeks ago a group of people celebrated the memory of Pinochet makes Chile an interesting country? And what this even says (a lot) about part of Chilean society?
Please note that I do not disagree with you that Chile is an interesting country. However, I am puzzled on to why you felt the need to put together Chile as an interesting country and the celebrations of the memory of Pinochet, if you were not implying that it was something unique of Chilean society.

Please let me know, as I do not want to carry this doubt with me as I go seeking the shrink that you suggested.

Cause I am a jolly good fellow, here you go http://www.paginasamarillas.com.ar/q/psicologos

Now, get lost.

expatinowncountry said:
In general Argentine are not well regarded in the rest of Latin America because of their arrogance but I dare you find a country where Chileans are liked more. In Peru to call someone a Chilean is actually an insult. Same in Bolivia.
Of course, there are historical reasons for all that and some of them escape the understanding of the average Expat.
Chile is an interesting country... a few weeks ago, there were massive events to celebrate the memory of Augusto Pinochet. That says a lot about (part of) the Chilean society.

This is what happens when a country kicks your ass and takes your land.

That's the same reason the Argentines don't like Chilenos. Chile kicked ass and took land.

CHILE 1833

mid-Non-Native_American_Nations_Control_over_South_America_1700_and_on.ogv.jpg

CHILE TODAY

south_america_map_l.jpg

It's much more impressive, isn't it.

camberiu said:
I love you man. This is virtual male bonding at its finest. One day we will drink mate together and you will admit that you envy Chile. Just wait and see.

You are right cause accordingly to you probably I am 1/3 Argentine, 1/3 Peruvian, and 1/3 Bolivian.

I do like mate. It's a bit bitter but it taste ok the second time. Anyway, good like with the shrink.

Napoleon said:

That's the same reason the Argentines don't like Chilenos. Chile kicked ass and took land.

CHILE 1833

mid-Non-Native_American_Nations_Control_over_South_America_1700_and_on.ogv.jpg

CHILE TODAY

south_america_map_l.jpg

Indeed, the second map is really impressive. I love the South Atlantic!!

Napoleon said:

CHILE TODAY

south_america_map_l.jpg

And they continue to kick ass, but it is economically this time. So yes, the Argentinians resent them (a lot) for that. If they want to have a decent flight, they need to pick LAN. Lots of Chilean wineries investing in Argentina. Plus the fact that Chile is now ahead of Argentina in most social-economical developmental indicators, including literacy, child mortality rate and life expectancy. This without any "corralito", capital controls, the "modelo" or other types of populist policies that are so popular over here.
It makes many Argentinians fume to see their former poor (and brown) neighbors running circles around them.

Sorry, correction, the Chilean-Argentine treaty was signed in 1881-1883, during the Chile-Peru war.

Back