Free volunteering?

smflaher

Registered
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for free volunteering opportunities (up to 6 months)... The ones in BA I keep running across online all cost $$..

thanks!

a friend working at a nonprofit here in BSAS told me that the idea of volunteering as we think of it in the US or UK is a bit foreign to argentines, so the reason these companies charge is to make sure that you have an experience similar to what you might experience in the US or UK (i.e., substantive work.)

helpargentina was recommended to me by this friend if you haven't made a decision on using one of these agencies.

Couldn't agree more Fettucini. The only volunteer work that I've done for free is WWOOFing (World wide workers on organic farms). You get fed and a place to stay in exchange for farm work. But so many places need private cash injections to function, especially community welfare projects. I can't afford to give my time and pay as well but surprisingly, heaps of people holiday that way. I met some girls recently that paid $1,000 USD to work for a month at a soup kitchen in Cordoba. Each.

My partner tried to get communtiy work at a radio station in La Boca, offering hours a day in translation services. He was really excited about the project. Because he couldn´t pay anything he couldn't 'help'.

The system sux in a lot of ways.

The link I posted earlier in this thread has some good, free, and almost free places. I've had friends get jobs from that list in Bolivia and they loved it. No catch. Free and feel good for everyone. As it should be. :D

Fettucini said:
Why should you pay to work for free?

(mode = devil's advocate) You can make a case for it. For many people, a volunteering holiday is up there with a skiing holiday, a rafting holiday or a trekking holiday and you are buying the volunteer 'experience.' Essentially you are paying for something organised and safe and that pretty well any holidaymaker can enjoy.

I've mentioned my charity of choice before - it's an education project in Paraguay (go search the archives if you want more information - this is not an advert). On the one hand no fees are charged. On the other, volunteers are expected to pay their own way totally and make no drain whatsoever on the resouces of the host village. On yet another hand volunteers are expected to contribute some useful skills and will be turned down if they have nothing useful to offer. Compare that with the 'volunteer experience' where for a fee they will take anybody and will maybe set them to work painting a shed that some other volunteer painted the week before.

This organization is within Capital Federal and offers the fairest opportunity to volunteer regarding 'fees.' Just checked, they ask for a $25-$50 one time donation, depending on how long you stay. Then you have to pay for your own transportation. A friend volunteered with them in 2009 and spoke highly of her experience... http://www.lifeargentina.org/

Back