freelance/paying U.S taxes


Aug 14, 2008
I'm looking into picking up contract work with an American company while in B.A. Which U.S. taxes must/should I pay, even though I'm not residing there? (federal taxes, state taxes, local taxes)
You must file income tax in the US. If you are a full time resident in Argentina (there is a minimum number of days that you must live outside the US) you are exempt from tax in the the first $80,000 dollars you earn. The US embassy should be able to advise you.
I would suggest consulting an Expat Tax attorney. They are knowledge on that sort of thing. PM if you want my guys contact info. Suerte!
Where are you claiming you are living? Are you coming in here on a work visa and working for an Argentine company? Or will you be working as an IC? That will have a good deal of effect on your tax status..
Not sure yet where I'll claim to live; I'm looking into what would be best. I'll live in B.A. on a tourist visa that I will renew every 90 days. I'll freelance with a U.S. company. (so no work visa)

I'm in the process of looking for an accountant or expat tax attorney before my departure.

I was wondering what others do who earn U.S dollars while living in B.A. on a tourist visa.
I am a US citizen living in Argentina and I do freelance work for US companies. Last year I went and saw the embassy tax adviser and they where actually quite helpful although they are only there a few days a year during tax time. You can get all of the information you need from here: U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad. Don't bother calling the embassy, they will not tell you anything for fear of 'advising' you on tax matters. The first year that we moved here (moved in June, so it was a partial year), I payed taxes in the US as normal, claimed all monies I made as freelancer and payed tax on all of them. The second year I filed a form 2555 which gives you an exemption of around $80,000. I filed the 2555 with a 1040 which had a zero balance because of the exemption. The reason I was not exempt the first year was because you need to live here for 330 days or more to be considered your tax home. Quite simple really. I am no accountant, but this is working for me. PM me if you have questions.

I believe you still have to pay 15.3% (USA) social security taxes if you are self employed and only after that take foreign earned income exclusion as Rob suggested.