Freezers off at night?!

pompeygazza

Registered
My students tonight were telling me not to buy frozen or chilled food in--let's say certain 'ethnic' shops because they turn the freezers/chillers off at night!

I've been buying such food from a great 'ethnic' shop for 3 months now and am still alive (I think).

Has anyone else heard of this practice?

Yeah, I'd never buy milk from a chino. The city actually announced a plan last year to install microchip thermometers in chino heladeras, to ensure that they weren't turned off at night, but whether it was followed up on, I know not.

Yes.

Two of my brothers-in-law have worked for "chino" grocery stores where they told me about this practice.

For frozen meat I wouldn't worry too much - I doubt it thaws. But chilled food - just depends on how good they are at throwing out stuff that rots.

Today, my wife went to a carniceria to buy various meats, including some carne picada. It was on special. The guy held some up to her to take a look at to make sure it was fresh. When she got it home to make empanadas, she opened it up and almost vomited. The guy had put a kilo of near-rotten meat under the fresh stuff he showed her, just to get rid of it, I suppose.

He was Argentino. I mention it only because I don't know that this practice (either getting rid of rotten stuff in such a manner, or letting the freezers/coolers be off overnight) is strictly related to "ethnic" places.

I seriously doubt it. If they did their products wouldn't last very long at all would they?

Do check the sell by dates though.

EDIT:
My wife tells me that she was told by an inspector that it wasn't actually true but they do have lots of staff that don't appear on their payrolls.

So not that different from any company/governmental job.

Most dairy products that discompose quickly are sealed and don't go bad very fast. How about the milk in bottles that are stacked up next to the bread in most supers I've been in? That stuff is never refrigerated and it survives.

I suppose I don't know enough to comment specifically at what point and how long stuff like sealed milk takes to rot, but it can't be too bad if it's well sealed I'd think.

ElQueso said:
Most dairy products that discompose quickly are sealed and don't go bad very fast. How about the milk in bottles that are stacked up next to the bread in most supers I've been in? That stuff is never refrigerated and it survives.

I suppose I don't know enough to comment specifically at what point and how long stuff like sealed milk takes to rot, but it can't be too bad if it's well sealed I'd think.
I think you may be talking about Larga Vida milk which does not need to refrigerated until it is opened. As for anything like meat or dairy that does need to be stored at a constant temperature --- I would never buy it in a chino --- sorry but that's just my life experience.

In the end I suppose common sense will keep you out of the bathroom. Check the date..take a good look..have a sniff..

True....I buy longlife milk in the chino supermarkets as the sachet ones are often off. And two days ago I had to return a frozen pizza as it was rotten, the ham stank like fish once cooked. I took back the whole pizza, still hot, and they gave me the money back pronto!

Honestly I think it just depends on the place. I have been buying milk and other perishables, including lunchmeats, from our local chinese supermarket for 3 years now. Never had any problems with any food from them. In fact, out of the three nearby supermarkets, including one small argentine-run supermarket and an Eki, the chinese one has the best selection of products and seems the cleanest. The Eki was "clausurado" numerous times, probably for hygiene reasons, because it is pretty gross sometimes to say the truth. Also they never have any merchandise.

I also believe it doesn't make sense to turn freezers off at night. If a few shop owners do do that, well then that sucks, but I think it's largely became more of a myth than anything!

This is just a typical racist urban myth . The kind you get everywhere . There was a similar thing here about tiny numbers printed on the packaging . Saying a certain number means the food has been recycled . All the numbers are is to identify the print run from the printers . I'd rather trust the chinese supermarket than the bloody corporate giants . For sure !

Back