Frivolous lawsuits in Argentina

Denver

Registered
Some recent postings have suggested that frivolous lawsuits against an employer (real or perceived) are common in Argentina. Anyone targeted in this manner have my greatest sympathy.

However; what are people's experience with lawsuits not relating to employment? Are they common? Which claims are usually presented? Against whom?

What should a simple condo owner visiting Argentina a few times per year on a tourist visa do to protect oneself?

Thanks in advance.

Expats who are sued are most likely to be sued regarding labor law. To avoid this, clean your own flat as you would in the US and don't hire anyone!

sergio said:
Expats who are sued are most likely to be sued regarding labor law. To avoid this, clean your own flat as you would in the US and don't hire anyone!

Or do the proper thing and only hire "en blanco". ;)

Reactions: RWS
Denver said:
Some recent postings have suggested that frivolous lawsuits against an employer (real or perceived) are common in Argentina. Anyone targeted in this manner have my greatest sympathy.

However; what are people's experience with lawsuits not relating to employment? Are they common? Which claims are usually presented? Against whom?

What should a simple condo owner visiting Argentina a few times per year on a tourist visa do to protect oneself?

Thanks in advance.

Many of the frivolous lawsuits that I have seen are the result of foreigners doing renovations in their apartments. Be careful. I would not renovate. That tends to perk up envy in people who perhaps cannot remodel. If you do any remodeling keep it simple such as a paint job.

Also, when you go to social events, say that you RENT. Until you know someone very well just keep your business to yourself.

Always remember that in Argentina people will not sue you if they think you do not have any assets in the country. They won't waste their time. They only go after people with something worth suing for.

Good luck.

Back