From Home into Rental Property

Risu

Registered
We are going to be traveling so want to turn our furnished house into a rental property. Would appreciate any information on how to go about this, regarding paying the taxes, getting rental home insurance, marketing and all the rest. If anyone knows of a good management company please advise.
Thanks!

Taxes:
If you want to declare taxes you could become a monotributo and pay a fixed monthly fee based on your expected yearly earnings: http://www.afip.gob.ar/monotributo/categorias.asp. If you expect to make u$s 10,000 a year from your property for example you would declare 'Categoría D' and pay AR$385 a month.

Marketing:
VRBO.com
Flipkey.com
Letting agent
Craigslist.org - a few years back when I had a property in BA I posted daily on craigslist and received about 70% of my booking that way, but linked to my personal website with full details of the property.
Personal website - It's hard to get to the top of the search engine rankings with a personal website as there is so much competition in BA. In Bariloche I receive 80% of my bookings from one of my personal websites as there is less competition and I have managed to get to page 1 of Google for many popular search queries.

Management:
You will need to decide if you want a full management company or just someone to do the check-in check-out. Get a full management company unless you have a reliable contact in BA who can drop everything and go and sort problems out.

Try and get your utility bills on a 'debito automatico' so you don't have to worry about paying them every month. If you set it up through a bank account that is connected to 'pagomiscuenas' you can control the payment more easily

Insurance:
I think most people just use a normal household insurance, some may insure it as a holiday home because a normal household policy will only cover you if it is lived in permanently and a holiday home insurance covers the property when it is left vacant for extended periods of time.

Neither of these will 'technically' cover you for renting it to tourists. If you have a cuit/cuil you can get a commercial insurance which I think is the only 100% way of covering you for renting it on a short term basis as a business.

I insure with Allianz here in Bariloche and pay about AR$1000 year for a 2 bed apartment and also have a 'Responsibilidad Civil' insurance to cover myself in the event that the tenants/cleaner have an accident while in the property.

Get a good accountant and get paid in cash. AFIP is going to tax you every month the apartment is empty unless you cut off the electricity.

Back