Fuse boxes and how to change fuses

scottlyon

Registered
Hi all, Had a power cut last evening due to unplugging something from the wall. Everything is fine and well except that the 'crabtree' appears to have been blown (Quite possibly the fuse for that room too). I've located the fusebox and see the two fuses I've mentioned at the off position.

Well the blow out must have been more than a simple one and it now appears that the main fuse (Crabtree to my mind) is no more - so powerless within the house.

I know where a hardware shop is locally - but having never changed a fuse in Argentina before am not sure what to ask or look for.

I cannot remove the fuses from their plastic casing - there appears to be two screws which hold the casing in place and perhaps by removing the casing (And possibly the plaster alongwith it) I might get to take them out and see how they work so I can replace them.

But this is just guesswork at my end and so I thought I'd ask you more knowledgeable folk if there is a simpler way or if I'm missing something.

Thanks for any help you can give!

The Portero for your building should know how to extract your blown fuse. Beyond that, I would not mess with the "crabtree" or you are likely to get a good shock. 220 volts tingles quite a bit....

I don't know what a 'crabtree' is. Are you in an apartment or a house. Quite often in apartment blocks you have a fusebox/trip switch in the apartment (one for lights and one for the electric sockets etc.) and a main fusebox/trip switch for the building as well where the electric meter is.

If both fuses/trip switches in the apartment are in the off position it may be it has tripped on the main fuse box downstairs as well, you will need to turn that on before you can reset the fuses/trip switch in your apartment...

whats the fuse look like? most are by and replace complete although the best is pay an electrician to change to new ones that dont have to be replaced just reset

is it this?
jimj4j.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys!

Seems there was a fusebox in the basement of the apartment block. Once the super flipped it back up my house was ablaze with light and Wifi again.

First time living in an apartment and (foolishly) didn't expect there to be a dependence on the building itself. At least that explains why my meter is never read!

Thanks again!

fyi you can buy three white cylnder fuses in the ferretaria...or electric supply store..good idea to have a full set of spares....there is a way to change just the inner fuse on some of these but easier to have a complete backup that you know willwork
and fyi the porter is supposed to let the electric guy come in to read when they do

Back