General BA Apartment Search Info and Recommendations

djw

Registered
I'm going to be arriving in BA at the beginning of January (from NYC) and will be looking for two things at that point:

1. An apartment
2. A studio to work out of (I am a writer/artist)

I have checked Craigslist and a lot of the postings seem to be put up by housing services, and not all that cheap.

Some questions I would love to have answered if anyone is able to:

_What are the general prices for a 1 bedroom apartment rental (ballpark), and how do these vary by neighborhood?

_What are the pros/cons of the different neighborhoods (San Telmo, Palermo, Barracas, etc.)

_On a related note, is there a place that seems to be drawing a lot of up and coming artists (like Bushwick in New York or Neukoln in Berlin)

_Are there recommendations on good local sites that can be used for searching for apartments?

_If I sign a lease is subletting easy/legal to do? (I plan to stay for 4 months at this point)

_Is an expat->expat rental recommended? Is this site the best for finding those?

_If there are any artists out there, where do you have your studio? Is there a site that BA artists advertise their studios on like Stephanie Diamond's list here in NYC?

Sorry for the deluge of questions - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Daniel
[email protected]

Hey, Daniel,

There are many threads you can find using the search feature of the forum if you enter the appropriate key words.

But the most important thing (in my opinion) that you need to know is that when you leave Argentina you will need permission from the government to take your artworks with you.

In BA, like NYC, you get what you pay for. Cheap means even smaller than in NY and with as many bugs as you'll find in cheap NY apartments. Buyer beware.

@steveinbsas Thanks for the tip on the exporting artwork front. Strange that this could apply to an artist's own work. Fortunately most of what I do is video art so there shouldn't be an issue with that.

Having done a thorough search of the forum many of my questions don't seem to have much info on them, especially:

How does one go about renting an artists studio? And what areas currently are home to most emerging artists?

If anyone has any info on this it would be appreciated.

Best,
Daniel

Hi Daniel, I too am a video artist from NY. I've been here less than 2 months, but it seems that San Telmo and La Boca are the artist communities. I haven't gotten my studio yet , waiting until the summer ends...I'm attaching 2 links I found for studios. http://lapaternalespacioproyecto.blogspot.com/ www.entreyarte.blogspot.com
Good luck and don't bring that cold weather down here. Give us a shout when you're settled. Best, Samantha

Rents are much cheaper in BA than they are in NYC. The area known as Palermo Hollywood gets that name because there are quite a few production cos, TV studios, film related businesses in the area which may be relevant to your video art.
Forget about signing a long term lease (2 years is standard) and then subletting (as a way of minimizing rent?). First, as a foreigner you will need a guarantor, that is a local who owns property, who will cosign and guarantee your lease payments. That pretty much elimnates subletting as even if you could find a gurantor, he's not going to sign off on guaranteeing some other sublessee.
Because rents are cheap, even for furnished temp apts/studios you should be able to find something very comfortable (at least 2 rooms) in Palermo Hollywood for US$ 1500 or less /mo.

scarface said:
Rents are much cheaper in BA than they are in NYC. The area known as Palermo Hollywood gets that name because there are quite a few production cos, TV studios, film related businesses in the area which may be relevant to your video art.
Forget about signing a long term lease (2 years is standard) and then subletting (as a way of minimizing rent?). First, as a foreigner you will need a guarantor, that is a local who owns property, who will cosign and guarantee your lease payments. That pretty much elimnates subletting as even if you could find a gurantor, he's not going to sign off on guaranteeing some other sublessee.
Because rents are cheap, even for furnished temp apts/studios you should be able to find something very comfortable (at least 2 rooms) in Palermo Hollywood for US$ 1500 or less /mo.

Keep in mind that with the subsidies being taken away for water, gas and electricity, that the prices of the apartments will most likely be going up next year.

Back