Getting A New Us Passport

Jantango: there is no "USA ID" card. You probably mean a Passport Card.

USA ID is a thing. It's just not particularly legitimate and not backed by any govt authority. Where the passport card is (Here's a list of differences between the book and the card).

Technically the card should not serve much use if you're not in a border area in the US. I can see how no one would know the difference when showing it in Argentina or elsewhere. And it's convenient to have a wallet sized ID.

That said, it might not be legal to show your US Passport or US Passport Card in Argentina when you're an Argentine citizen. As I understand, that's the case in many other countries and it makes sense. I have nothing to cite at this moment.

Jantango: there is no "USA ID" card. You probably mean a Passport Card.

I didn't know what it was called, but if it has my photo and name, it's another ID to me.

When I speak, it's clear to any Argentine that I'm from somewhere else by my accent. Why do you think it would be illegal to show the US passport card in Argentina? Dual citizenship is common. This is the first opportunity I've had to obtain one. I plan to carry the passport card as another form of ID. I used my passport for that purpose for most of the years I've been in Buenos Aires.

Here's an example from Italy...I'm trying to find better source material.

This is from an Italian dual national site.

"While in Italy you must still represent yourself to Italian government authorities (including the police) as an Italian citizen. For example, "Io sono un cittadino italiano" or "Io sono una cittadina italiana." (I am an Italian citizen).

Does Argentina have similar requirements? I don't know but I would be leery of presenting myself as a US Citizen, when I am a naturalized Argentine. Whether it's the police, AFIP, whatever. Just sounds like a bad idea to me.

US Passport Renewal
Requested an appointment online the first week in January 2016 first date available was February 16 2016, tramite at Consulate lasted 45 minutes. The new passport will be mailed end of February, early March...! So its a 60 day process.

The mobs applying for US visas standing in the 36 degree sun for hours , makes Argentina Immigration look like a piece of cake

PD With Jantango's Asistance :)

US Passport Renewal
Requested an appointment online the first week in January 2016 first date available was February 16 2016, tramite at Consulate lasted 45 minutes. The new passport will be mailed end of February, early March...! So its a 60 day process.

The mobs applying for US visas standing in the 36 degree sun for hours , makes Argentina Immigration look like a piece of cake

PD With Jantango's Asistance :)

Passport arrived at DHL Feb 29 ready for pickup . So it was a 60 day exercise Total...!

Many people turned away at the Consulate if carrying cell phones or perfume bottles....!!

Back