Getting A Phone

og505

Registered
Hey everyone!

I'm arriving in about a week and I realized that I'll need a cellphone asap once I get there. I'll want a cheap pay-as-you-go phone. Just calls and texts, I don't need anything fancy, and I can't get a contract as I don't know how long I'm staying and would be on a tourist visa. Which is the best way to go about this? I know that in some countries you can get a phone+voucher at the airport but in other places it's best to go to a phone shop in the city. Which do you recommend?

Thanks!

Do you have an unlocked GSM phone (one that is not locked to one carrier)? If so you could use that and just get a prepaid SIM card for it in Argentina and then recharge it as needed.

The major carriers all have stores on virtually every streetcorner, and they will, reluctantly, sell you a basic cellphone. It will cost more than the equivalent in the US. I dont know about Sweden. My wife uses one of these, I think her last one cost about $50 US dollars, just a basic phone that will call and text. You charge it up at most any kiosk, just pay and they credit your account.
Or, you can go down in front of the Retiro Train Station, and get one for a fraction of that amount. NO guarantee, of course, that it wont have previously belonged to somebody else who is still missing it.

Go to Tope Cel Avenida Santa Fe 2367, and purchase an unblocked cell phone, for a Basic phone plan to spend up to $1000 pesos (US80 aprox,) for a Nokia C3 .

Bring a GSM (unlocked) phone from the states and go with Personal or Claro. Whatever you do just make sure it's not Movistar.

Bring a GSM (unlocked) phone from the states and go with Personal or Claro. Whatever you do just make sure it's not Movistar.

I just moved to Cordoba and got a Movistar SIM last week (there was a Movistar outlet on my corner). Out of curiousity, what's the beef with Movistar? The data speed is awful, but I just attributed it to Argentina speeds (not sure if this is the case). Wondering if I should switch when my balance runs out.

I just did this today at movistar on florida, took 30 mins they were very helpful. just got a simple phone and a sim. 260 pesos. they also gave me a free sim for my iphone 4.

Back