Getting Argentine AND Uruguayan residency

davepa

Registered
Now this might seem like a strange question, but is there anything to stop someone from getting temporary (and then permanent) residency in BOTH Argentina and Uruguay at the same time?

I plan on spending roughly half my time over the next X years in each place, so I wondered if it's OK to get residency for both.

Or, is it possible to get residency in one of the two countries, and as both are part of Mercosur, use the cedula de identidad to allow me to travel to AND work in the other? I'm not sure if Mercosur is like the EU in this respect?

Thanks in advance!!!

yes you can go through the process of obtaining both URY and ARG residency. It legal to have both as long as you can maintain both with respect to the physical presence test of each. Shouldn't be hard.
But YOU cannot use your residency in one country to be able to work in the other. This is because YOU are not a citizen of either. You cannot travel between them on a temporary residency. You may be able to travel on a permanent residency, but I am not sure. Actually even being a citizen of one or the other does not specially allow you to work in the other. It is particular to the country. Brasil for example allows natural-born citizens of other Mercosur nations to work in Brasil. Brasil also allows naturalized citizens of the other Mercosur nations, who have been citizens of more than 5 years, to work in Brasil. I do not know of any similar type policies for the other Mercosur nations.

Brasil e foda, cara! ;-)

Thanks gunt86, really appreciate your reply. When you say that "You cannot travel between them on a temporary residency.", I guess that means you can't travel anywhere on the temporary residency for either country? But you can still enter/exit each country on the passport of your country of birth, right?

Do you know the minimum time per year/s needed to stay in Argentina and/or Uruguay to keep the temporary residency, and be eligible to then turn it into a permanent residency?

Thanks again!

You can exit a country using only evidence of your temporary residency. You can enter that same country with that same evidence. You cannot use that evidence to enter or exit another Mercosur country. To enter the second Mercosur country you must either use your passport of your home nation or a residency permit specifically for that country. Put it like this: You can enter/exit the US with a Greencard, but you cannot use your Greencard to enter/exit Canada.

There is no minimum amount of time required to maintain temp residency in ARG, though simply because of the fact that you must renew it every year, then you will be in country for at least one day every year. After 3 years of temp residency, you can request permanent residency in ARG (depending on what type of visa you have). Some temp visas are not eligible for permanent residency conversion. ARG permanent residency requires physical presence of one day every two years.

Thanks again, gunt86.

Sorry to be slow, but is the following possible:

Having temporary residency in both Argentina and Uruguay - then when crossing between the two countries, using the evidence of the Argentine temp residency to exit Argentina, while at the same using the evidence of the Uruguayan temp residency to enter Uruguay. And then vice versa.

Or is that going to confuse the hell out of the border control?

davepa said:
Having temporary residency in both Argentina and Uruguay - then when crossing between the two countries, using the evidence of the Argentine temp residency to exit Argentina, while at the same using the evidence of the Uruguayan temp residency to enter Uruguay. And then vice versa.
yes this is fine. In practice what this means is that you will be showing your DNI (National Identity Document) to the ARG officals, and your URY identity card to the URY officials. Normally this isn't such a big deal, but a few of the broder crossings have URY and ARG officials in the same building sitting at the same desk separated by a meter or so. It can be a pain to be digging around in your pockets to produce the correct documents for one official and then the other documents for the other official. In practice, your home country passport will have your visas already in it, so you can just show your passport and each official will look at their respective visas, and then give you their respective entry/exit stamp in your passport.

Hellek said:
If you have residency, I am not sure if it is formally correct to follow gunt86's advice. If you have argentine residency but enter with your US passport, they will probably give you the turista 90 dias stamp. Probably not a legal problem (since you have your DNI anyway) but a possible point of confusion.
I'd always show the "home" document, in the case of Argentina this would be the Argentine DNI.
Apart from that, with the DNI I suppose you can use the faster queue, not the slow "extranjeros" queue.
Sorry, but you are giving confusing advice. If the person has a residence permit, then that permit is in their passport. That is the primary document for entrance/exit. Alternatively, the person will have a DNI which they can also use to enter/exit. I am guessing that you have never had these documents before. I have, and I am telling the poster exactly what is correct.

You can have only one residence because residence means home. If you get 2 you might lose both. Regards

gunt86 said:
yes this is fine. In practice what this means is that you will be showing your DNI (National Identity Document) to the ARG officals, and your URY identity card to the URY officials. Normally this isn't such a big deal, but a few of the broder crossings have URY and ARG officials in the same building sitting at the same desk separated by a meter or so. It can be a pain to be digging around in your pockets to produce the correct documents for one official and then the other documents for the other official. In practice, your home country passport will have your visas already in it, so you can just show your passport and each official will look at their respective visas, and then give you their respective entry/exit stamp in your passport.

This is not big deal really. The problem is if you have a non permanent residency, you might lose it.
When I travel I use my polish and argentinian passport, but remember that every country only recognize you as his citizen, so you must show the id of the country you are entering. For example, I show Argentinian passport at Argentinians borders and polish passport at EU borders.
Regards

gunt86 said:
Sorry, but you are giving confusing advice. If the person has a residence permit, then that permit is in their passport. That is the primary document for entrance/exit. Alternatively, the person will have a DNI which they can also use to enter/exit. I am guessing that you have never had these documents before. I have, and I am telling the poster exactly what is correct.

I never had either of my Argentine visa/residence permits (temporary or permanent) in my passport...just entry and exit stamps. Perhaps they only put the visa in the passports when they are issued by the consulates.

Anyway, my question is: Can I go to Uruguay from Argentina using only my Argentine DNI? I have no problem using my passport. I'm just curious.

Back