Getting Argentine AND Uruguayan residency

steveinbsas said:
Anyway, my question is: Can I go to Uruguay from Argentina using only my Argentine DNI? I have no problem using my passport. I'm just curious.
I have tried this and it was refused by the URY officials. My DNI is of the extranjeros variety. I am able to exit ARG with my DNI, but not enter any Mercusor nations with it. I gave all this information in my posts to the original OP.

gunt86 said:
I have tried this and it was refused by the URY officials. My DNI is of the extranjeros variety. I am able to exit ARG with my DNI, but not enter any Mercusor nations with it. I gave all this information in my posts to the original OP.
If you have an AR DNI and obtain the CEDULA I think you can travel between all Mercosur countries. However I have not tried this although I do know people who just that , no passport, just Cedula.

ghost said:
If you have an AR DNI and obtain the CEDULA I think you can travel between all Mercosur countries. However I have not tried this although I do know people who just that , no passport, just Cedula.

I asked about this at the registro in Punta Alta. They told me I needed Argentine citizenship to get the Cedula or the "new" DNI (even though I have permanent residency in Argentina).

Hi, I have temporary residence in Argentina and a temporary Argentia DNI. I live in Argentina but own real estate in Uruguay. I regularly travel between the two, both ways, with my AR DNI with no problem. In fact, if I hand them both passport and DNI (I am supposed to always show my DNI right now when crossing) they want me to choose one or the other. I have quit offering the passport. I have had no problems using my temporary Argentina DNI in crossing either way.

steveinbsas said:
I asked about this at the registro in Punta Alta. They told me I needed Argentine citizenship to get the Cedula or the "new" DNI (even though I have permanent residency in Argentina).
I don't know if some rule has changed recently. My DNI is the extranjero version and I simply applied [with the federal police] and obtained the Cedula. As have several friends. Sometimes you get mixed answers to the same question. But the Cedula will take you into Brazil without the nasty visa problem.

God help your sorry souls. I do not know whether to laugh of cry reading about so many people getting in the "hottest water" in the planet.

sandra12345 said:
God help your sorry souls. I do not know whether to laugh of cry reading about so many people getting in the "hottest water" in the planet.
For somebody living it up in Hawaii this Sandra chick sure seems bitter and angry. Lighten' up babe !:D

there seem to be varying experiences - here's mine.

First, when i received my DNI i also received a Cedula in the same envelope.
Second, Absolutely nothing is written in my passport about my Permenant Argentine residency
When i left the country (Ezeiza, flying to England) i had to show my passport and DNI. Passport was stamped and they scribbled r/p on the stamp. Same on the way back.

Back