Getting Creative..

Ahkim

Registered
One of my new year's reso's was to get my creativity on, as such I'm looking for a drawing/painting/photoshop course in English.

If anybody knows of or can even recommend a school/institute, I'd be very interested in hearing.

You might have better luck getting creative while improving your Spanish if you take a course in Spanish (you'll have a lot better luck finding a course) -- this of course much easier if it's painting / drawing.

For photoshop classes there's tonnes of resources online to get you started (lynda.com, watchandlearnphotoshop.com) -- both paid and free tutorials available all over the net. Probably easier to do that then to try and find a Pshop class in English here, or follow along with one in Spanish (unless your spanish is already decent).

suerte!

Hi Ahkim! There are tons of classes offered around BA that could sate your need if you're willing to do so in Spanish (which, since you're in Argentina, I recommend).

Looks like enrollment starts in February for Rojas, so you have plenty of time to check their schedule/page: http://www.rojas.uba.ar/

There are also less conventional classes offered here:
http://www.alternativateatral.com/servicios.asp

Have fun!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm all for improving my Spanish, but I doubt the feasibility of getting at the level necessary for communicating the finer nuances in graphic design or drawing. The day to day usage of Spanish is already challenging.

I definitely need to do something in a group, group interaction weighs about as much as the content of the class for me.

I'll have a look at the sites, but if anybody has any English suggestions I'm all ears.

Last year, area tres (coworking/ shared office space place in Soho next to Starbucks) offered a small series of Photoshop classes (only about 3 or so classes). I do believe these were at an introductory level. If your interest is really in learning graphic design I don't think that it would get you very far, though.

If ever you do find something a little more advanced please do post as I would also be interested. I already know my way around Photoshop somewhat (can fix up a photo to my liking) but that thing is a beast and I have a long way to go!

I recommend strongly a good friend of mine, native of Uruguay but she has spent +10 years in NY (that helps to have a 100% english fluent teacher).
Furthermore she is an exceptional human being.
She has many groups during the week, in a very nice place in Palermo SOHO (Cabrera x Bonpland).

She has LIFE DRAWING classes

Her website & curriculum are here :
http://www.artemercosur.org.uy/rank/ombu/english/rank.html

Anna Rank, Uruguayan artist, has lived and studied in New York for 12 years. Argentinean resident.

Education: MFA / Painting - Parsons School of Design, N.Y. (1993) BFA - Art Education Certificate, Parsons School of Design / Bank Street College, New York, (1993) - Universidad del Trabajo del Uruguay, Montevideo (1981) - Drawing and Painting with Julio Alpuy (Torres-García's-Workshop) N.Y. (1983-1989) - Printmaking with Krishna Reddy Workshop at New York University (1988-1989).

Awards and Honors: Helena Rubinstein Award and Organization of American States Scholarship, Washington DC.(1992-1993) - Artist in Residence at Altos de Chavón School of Design, Dominican Republic (1990)- The New York Public Library acquired for the Print Room the artist book "Don Quixote de la Mancha"(1990).

Art Teacher: Altos de Chavón School of Design, Dominican Republic (1992 - 1990) - Universidad Católica del Uruguay (1994-1996) and "Escuela Superior de Bellas Artes de la Nación Ernesto de la Cárcova", Buenos Aires (1998-1997). Queens Museum of Art and New York City Department of Education, Workshops for Development Training (2005-2006-2007). Currently she also teaches Drawing and Painting at her own Studio and also at Guillermo Roux's Foundation/Studio, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Since 1979, she realized a number of individual and collective exhibitions in United Stated, Argentina, France, Italy. Chile, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Brazil and Uruguay; her work is part of international collections like The New York Public Library at the Print Room, the Musée d' Art Contemporain de Chamaliéres, France and others.

Calle Cabrera, 5654 - Buenos Aires - CP 1414 - Argentina. Tel. (5411) 4774 7167
For her email adress, better you don't use the one still appearing on her website,
you can contact her via facebook :
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000010067797

or at those alternate email adresses (she doesn't read anymore her email appearing on her website due to spam) :
[email protected]
[email protected]

French, that's an awesome tip right there. I'll contact her.

Back