Getting deposits back on temporary rental

TehDeej

Registered
per prunes61's comments about the perils of short term rentals, how can one make sure they will get a deposit back at the end of the rental period?

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/2376...-term-apartment-rental-especially-blue-s.html

I suppose using a reputable inmobilario would be a good start as opposed to private owners. If so, does anybody have any recommendations?

Any other tips to guaranty the deposit gets paid back?

I got burned on this in Spain earlier this year.

Thanks, D.J.

Unfortunately I have found that owners pretty much think of the deposit as theirs once you hand it over. 90% of them WILL find enough excuses to keep at least a portion of it (if not the entire thing).

I usually factor it into the rent as I don't expect to get it back anymore...so, if the rental is for 6 months and the deposit is $1200 I divide that by 6 and mentally add $200 to the monthly rental. Sad you have to think that way but that's pretty accurate with the shady landlords you find here.

Don't hand over the keys unless you get the deposit - it's fairly simple.

It helps to do the swap inside the apartment and it's great if you have someone with you (perhaps a friend helping you to move). If the landlord can't provide the deposit on hand, say you will wait for him inside the apartment rather than move with him someplace else...

I will say that when I was renting in BA, I rented close to 10 apts over the course of several years (vacation and staying). I never once had a problem with getting a full deposit back and the majority of those were rented from a private owner.

My advice: Take pictures of the apt the day you move in (have a newspaper with the date on in the pictures). Detail any damages that you find when you move in - there are almost always some. Let the landlord now the day you move in in case s/he isn't aware via email, with pictures attached. Read the list of belongings included in the contract when you are signing and verify they are there and cross out any that aren't. Very often it's an old list and things are no longer there. I don't go to the extreme of counting spoons/glasses/whatever but be smart. Check the major things.

After that - be a respectful tenant, don't damage the apt and pay your rent on time. Most landlords will return the favor and pay your deposit back.

It you don't know the market yet, it's not a bad idea to rent through a reputable agency as opposed to going the private owner first.

I have worked in property rentals for a number of years, and had dealing with many owners. In my experience it is rare for owners to hang on to deposits.

If you go through a reputable agency they will fight your corner if there is a problem as they dont want their names to be dragged down. Agencies will soon drop owners if they start messing clients around.

I've used bytargentina several times and have never had a problem with a deposit or the apartment in general (just normal aggravations you get renting without visiting the actual apartment). Since most flights to the US are late at in the evening..... I usually swap the keys for the deposit around noon, leave my bags at manuel tienda and take their bus later in the evening. Since bytargentina has an office, at least you have time to straighten out any deposit problems you may have with the landlord. I've seen landlords that count every piece of silverware and others that have left the deposit with the desk attendant.

When I moved in to my apartment in Palermo there was a LOT wrong with it. My son and I took two days photographing every flaw and decribing it. When we finished, we had a BOOK. When we took it in she didn't seem surprised at all and patiently signed every single page. They have done a lot to fix it up since then, telling me "you deserve it." They've really been sweet. It is Levy Propriedades. I can hardly believe they'd keep my deposit but if they try, you'll hear me loud and clear.

Back