Getting dollars in Argentina

Caribbean Cool

Registered
Can't someone just send money to themself in Uruguay via Western Union and then return to BA? It costs $16 for a pickup of $1000.00.

i guess you could. but how are you getting to uruguay to pick them up?

A few years ago you could get physical dollars in BA using Ria money transfer. It may still work. There are some forum threads about it.

Anyway....about my original question.....if someone did NOT have a bank account in Argentina and wired money to themself in Uruguay and picked it up in Uruguay and then purchased pesos in the 'blue market'....what am I missing about this idea. A trip once a month maybe on the ferry...

You could, and with no AR bank account, it would all depend on your preference between the fees of withdrawing from an ATM in Argentina against cost of a buquebus round trip ticket to UR and western union fees. RIA is no longer an option in Argentina, unfortunately.

If the amount of money is $1800 per month, taking account ATM fees and any conversion fees, it seems like a no brainer to go to Uruguay. The transfer itself is under $20....then minus the ferry expense. Have I got this right?...especially if the dollars can be changed at the Blue Dollar rate assuming there is a premium. (thank you GMXam)

Tomorrow, you can get a buquebus round trip ticket to Colonia at a minimum of $3,800 ARS round trip but you must spend the entire day in UR...again, it all depends on the total cost relative to you, in money and time. You can check the schedules and fees online at buquebus.com

I used to do this back in 2014 when the Blue was a lot higher than the official rate. I'd get someone to send dollars to Western Union, then go over to Colonia once every two months or so. The WU office always wanted me to call a few days in advance to let them know when I was coming so they could ensure the dollars were there, so that might be something to keep in mind.

d.gray.....THAT is what I have been wondering about. Thank you for your input. I know a foreign company operating in Argentina that pays its employee this way (+5000 dollars per month...not me) Now I sit back and watch.

No problem. The place I used was called Aspen and it is on the main street (Gral Flores 350). Here's a link.

I haven't done it in years, but I imagine it's the same process. I usually called about 3 days in advance to book the money, and I never had any problems. I think the most I picked up in one go was about $3,000 USD, but I guess you can get more. If the Blue starts getting higher, I might have to start doing it again…

Back