getting legal...

my experience is somewhere inbetween. I went to AFIP with my certificado de domicilio and they would not give me a CUIT ("make me a monotributista"). The said I had to at least have at least my precaria (what you get when you first apply for residency). Once I presented that I got it with no problem.

I do know others who have gone to their local AFIP office and gotten something like a CUIT for foreigners (not a CDI, I have that too). I don't know anything about this or if it even exists but the rumor is out there so it would be worth investigating.

If you are looking to just teach English, starting a company with the goal of hiring yourself is definitively not the way to go. It just costs too much to start a company in Argentina. I would get a lawyer and just let them help you work it out the simplest way. I would suggest http://www.celano.com.ar/

Good luck

Reactions: jp
I've been (and will continue) searching the forum for more information regarding "getting legal" and found this post in the 90 days thread:

jp said:
I'd be a bit careful.I have a friend who's been here 6 years, and has paid the fine a few times. Last time on his way in he went to pay the fine, and the customs people told him that if he did it again they wouldn't let him back in the country. Not ideal if you have a job, friends, family, a life here etc.

There was also a recent post about an individual who applied for a work visa after living here on a tourist visa for a number of years and was told he must leave Argentina and would not be allowed reentry for five years: Expat being deported due to visa problem. Does anyone know if a new policy (of enforcing existing laws) been implemented at migraciones?

According to a previous post, jp already indicated that he has residency, but is not yet in possession of a DNI: does overstaying tourist visa affect chances work visa?, but from what he has posted in this thread it looks like that is not the case. I wonder if the residency was granted and then expired or if something went wrong in the application process and the residency was denied?

I've had a visa rentista for three years and have been told I needed additional permission from migraciones if I wanted to work but I think anyone who has a DNI can legally work in Argentina. This may not be the best time to start a business here, though there are many "locales" for rent and the supply is increasing (also for obvious reasons).

Reactions: jp
Hi JP,

If you write me an email, I will send to you a few memoranda with the expalantion of the different corporate structures used in Argentina to carry out business activities and an explanation of the residency process. I will also provide you with a breakdown of the fees.

My email is [email protected] and our website is www.canosa.com.ar

Regards,

javiercanosa said:
Hi JP,

If you write me an email, I will send to you a few memoranda with the expalantion of the different corporate structures used in Argentina to carry out business activities and an explanation of the residency process. I will also provide you with a breakdown of the fees.

My email is [email protected] and our website is www.canosa.com.ar

Regards,

I found the following articles of interest (dealing with money laundering and transfers) in a quick visit to the site:

http://www.canosa.com.ar/en/publications/2009/10/24-09-09.php

http://www.canosa.com.ar/en/publications/2009/02/06-09.php

Yes, they're in English.

Masses of thanks for all the helpful advice in this thread. Will be in touch with all the lawyers who have left details.

Looks likely that we will need to get things set up using another route though, doesn't seem to be a cheap, quick or easy route to go down.

steveinbsas said:
Does anyone know if a new policy (of enforcing existing laws) been implemented at migraciones? I don't think it has ever been legal to go to Uruguay after six months in Argentina, returning the same day to receive a new tourist visa. I think it has just been tolerated.
Not a lawyer, but my understanding is that whilst this is annoying, there's nothing illegal about it. The issue that concerns migraciones is how people living here on tourist visas for years are sustaining themselves. If they have foreign income they should they should have visa rentistas. If not they can have work visas or student visas. If you have none of these, the assumption is that if you live here for years you are working illegally to sustain yourself. Last time i was in migraciones the lawyer handling my case said there's absolutely nothing the passport control people can do beyond cluck and frown at you for living here on a tourist visa. They've no right to deny you entry, or kick you out.
I wonder if the residency was granted and then expired or if something went wrong in the application process and the residency was denied?
For the curious amongst you I already have residency tied to a job, my other half is trying to get legal status that lets her work in blanco and live here as a resident.

I got my monotributista status (my CUIT #) without residencia and without being in the process of getting residencia. I am currently on a tourist visa, so it IS possible to get a CUIT number without residencia or a student or work visa. I did so two weeks ago. I have heard of people having problems with the process, but if they waited and spoke to someone new these problems were generally resolved (that is to say they were generally speaking with an employee who had been misinformed).

Suerte!

-MCF

Back