Getting Money From Wells Fargo In Buenos Aires

JonnyJonny

Registered
Hi All,

I've been living in Buenos Aires for almost 2 months now and loving it! I'm hoping someone knows of a good bank to visit to get money out of my Wells Fargo checking account. I'd like to get more than the ATM limit, so I plan to go to the counter to for a withdrawal (or whatever method they'd have to use.)

Any suggestions? I could also withdraw from a US Bank checking account, but I'd prefer to use my Wells Fargo account.

Thanks!
Jonny

My USA Visa/Mastercard (with or without a chip) cards allow ATM withdrawals at the following banks: Banco Santander Rio, Banco Galicia, HSBC, BBV Banco Frances, Banco Supervielle. Per local restrictions of these banks, the maximum withdrawal in pesos is $2400 + $85 local fee per transaction. In one day I can make as many withdrawals for the maximum allowed from multiple bank locations to reach the desired total amount. Sometimes this is contingent on the availability of cash at each ATM terminal. My US banks require that I notify them every couple months that I continue to be in ARG.

Over the counter cash advances for larger single sums are subject to the internal policies of the banks cited above. Some branches discourage it with a variety of unsustainable excuses. Example...."our postnet terminal is not equipped for foreign card transactions". Another option is to utilize wire transfer services.......such as Western Union, Xoom, etc. You can use the forum search engine to obtain info already posted regarding these services.

Do I have to go to Colonia to receive US dollars transferred from my Chase account? What are the US banks that could allow to transfer dollars from the checking account in USA? I am retired and thinking to return to my natal Buenos Aires

Carloncho -
Do I have to go to Colonia to receive US dollars transferred from my Chase account? Yes, if you don't have an ARG bank account. And the transfer can be done thru a money transfer service such as PayPal/Xoom unless you have a bank account at a UY bank.

You can do so once you open a local bank account in BA that allows deposits in pesos AND dollars. Banco Santander Rio is one of several options. Then you can you transfer dollars from your US Chase account or any other US bank.

What are the US banks that could allow to transfer dollars from the checking account in USA?
As far as I know all US banks, including credit unions, allow their clients to transfers dollars to their ARG bank account.

I am retired and thinking to return to my natal Buenos Aires.
Alternative...... open a Schwab account before you leave the US. I have been a satisfied customer since 2009.

You can fund the Schwab checking account by transferring funds from your Chase acct every time you need it. Then in BA, using the Schwab debit card, go to ATM's of designated ARG banks and withdraw the equivalent in pesos up to the local bank's limit per transaction per day.

Schwab does require that you maintain a US address. They only mail renewal cards within the US and is done automatically every 2 years. Online monthly statements. They rebate your account at the end of every cycle for all foreign transaction fees worldwide. Currently it's approx a savings of US$10.36 per every cash advance of US$136.00. They provide great customer service on the phone. Funding of the Schwab One brokerage account is not mandatory.

High Yield Investor Checking Account

https://www.schwab.c...hecking_account
Enjoy no ATM fees worldwide[sup]1[/sup], no minimums, and bank anytime, anywhere with Schwab Mobile. The Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® account is linked to a Schwab One® brokerage account * so you can easily manage both accounts with a single login.

Back