Getting To Know Buenos Aires By Motorbike

Gringoboy

Registered
As well as running a small computer shop near Olivos, I also use the bike for messenger services, which I started doing recently to fill the gaps.
Today I had an interesting run to collect something in Flores and to meet someone briefly in Beiro.
I left the house at 1030 and all was well until the first toll on Lugones/Illia, where the traffic was backed up completely from 9 de Julio. I managed to filter through quiet nicely, only to find that the southbound lanes were all closed near the Obelisk, hence the chaos and much horn honking.
Still, I wasn't in a desperate rush and enjoyed filtering through the stationary traffic and just observing the mass of life going on around me.
Turning off on Independencia, I arrived at Flores at 1200, which was way longer than I expected, especially on a bike.
It's worth noting that I could have taken the AU 25 de Mayo instead of Independencia, but that particular motorway has hardly any exits all the way to Perito Moreno/Grl Paz, although seems to have a few city bound.
After a welcome coffee (only $22) and a roll up at a roadside cafe, I headed off to Beiro, did the stuff and hit Gen Paz, only to encounter more chaos with road works and a nasty accident involving a motorcyclist, which made my stomach leap, hoping he or she was ok.
The rest of the journey via Panamericana (colectora) to Olivos and La Lucila was very straightforward.
Watching the other messenger bikes was an education in itself, especially since most of them seem to be colour blind.
There and back in three hours, which is more than double of what it should have been. By car, today? I dread to think.
Thoroughly enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the next jobs, whilst hoping for a little less traffic.

I walked once from Acassuso to Palermo. I had an early morning appointment in Acassuso and decided to spent the afternoon/evening walking from cafe to cafe (and later bar to bar) along Libertador.

Once walked from Nuñez to La Lucila after missing the train.

I walked few times from Palermo to microcentro because of a strike. Nothing special, just that it took me less time than with colectivo. You only need sport shoes and spare shirt...

It wasn't until I got back until I realised that the traffic chaos was caused by a public transport strike, duh!
I have another job in Lomas de Zamora on Weds which should be an interesting ride.

Back to Puente de la Noria complete with burning tyres and Lomas de Zamora on Tuesday and yesterday in Villa Soldati.
I can't say they are the most picturesque of places, but at least there is a funny side.

As well as running a small computer shop near Olivos, I also use the bike for messenger services, which I started doing recently to fill the gaps.
Today I had an interesting run to collect something in Flores and to meet someone briefly in Beiro.
I left the house at 1030 and all was well until the first toll on Lugones/Illia, where the traffic was backed up completely from 9 de Julio. I managed to filter through quiet nicely, only to find that the southbound lanes were all closed near the Obelisk, hence the chaos and much horn honking.
Still, I wasn't in a desperate rush and enjoyed filtering through the stationary traffic and just observing the mass of life going on around me.
Turning off on Independencia, I arrived at Flores at 1200, which was way longer than I expected, especially on a bike.
It's worth noting that I could have taken the AU 25 de Mayo instead of Independencia, but that particular motorway has hardly any exits all the way to Perito Moreno/Grl Paz, although seems to have a few city bound.
After a welcome coffee (only $22) and a roll up at a roadside cafe, I headed off to Beiro, did the stuff and hit Gen Paz, only to encounter more chaos with road works and a nasty accident involving a motorcyclist, which made my stomach leap, hoping he or she was ok.
The rest of the journey via Panamericana (colectora) to Olivos and La Lucila was very straightforward.
Watching the other messenger bikes was an education in itself, especially since most of them seem to be colour blind.
There and back in three hours, which is more than double of what it should have been. By car, today? I dread to think.
Thoroughly enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the next jobs, whilst hoping for a little less traffic.

If you don't have to go Nazca, it's much faster to go up Beiro to Constituyentes, when you hit Mosconi/Olazabal Constituyentes is closed due to construction, so you take right on Olazabal, left Ceretti, through the tunnel all the way Ceretti past Congreso, keep going, at Larralde you can turn left then right at Constituyentes up onto the Gral Paz or what we do is keep going down Ceretti, around the park, and once you get past the kids playground you can get on the colectora, exit the colectora into the YPF, drive through the YPF parking lot and out onto the Gral Paz. It sounds complicated but it's quite straightforward. There is always a back up of traffic at S Martin and Constituyentes entrances to Gral Paz, if you get on at the YPF I'm talking about you save yourself a bit of a headache.

Also depending on where your dropoffs are it might have been faster to go back up JB Justo to Donato Alvarez, left on San Martin -- San Martin is very quick and not as many lights. If your dropoff was near Gavilan the faster way back to the hwy is Donato Alvarez - san Martin - first right coming off bridge S Martin -- around Agronomia, out Constituyentes, and then the way to hwy as described above (we live Urquiza, my MIL is in Caballito, we do this run regularly!)

Thanks Syngirl, I'll remember that for the next time.
Gral Paz is really slow at the moment due to the extensive road works, even filtering on a bike is tricky.

Back