Getting Us Dollars Out Of Ar

SM7615

Registered
What is the best way to get used dollars from the sale of house back to the U.S.?

I know about official way, others could tell about alternatives.

Are you Argentine? Do you have bank account here (also caja ahorro dolares)? Are you the only owner?

If all this yes, then you can put dollars directly on dolar account, go to central office of your bank with escritura and send it for a fee between 0.12 to 0.5 %.

If you are foreigner it's also possible, but I don't know exact procedure.

I am thinking to buy somewhere at the moment. However, I was told by three different accountants that there is difficulty getting funds out of Argentina when you sell. Even though the law states that investors should be able to repatriate their funds after disposing of assets, accountants told me that the central bank just ignores requests from banks both during the past administration and this one. They also ask for papers that are difficult to get. I have been told to get proof from my bank detailing origins of my money and written proof that I send my money legally to Argentina that the central bank will turn into pesos because I am a foreigner - with fees and the official rate being managed I will lose up to 10%.......it is a joke. I cannot rent at low rents like Argentines without a guarantee, meaning I have to pay dollars to greedy local owners who know I am caught in this trap - what a country!! I love Argentina, but think my proposed move requires more research. I was told that money can come in (costs 2-3% it's black and cannot be used to fund property purchases and is money laundering) and leave via brokers who charge anything up to 7% for their services!!! It has given me food for thought. What's the use of investing in a country that fails to let small investors get their money out? Just to be 100% clear, I have been extremely thorough in my investigations - if you cannot provide paper trail showing where your money came from and that it was received to an Argentine bank, exchanged into pesos subject to the law, you cannot send your money out. Non-residents can only have a temporary account for money transactions when they can show papers to a bank about asset purchases, and not all banks will open accounts, none of the ones I approached would give me an account. The cost to send money out legally is 2% in private banks - if you can tick all the boxes. .

Things are changing every month now and for a bit better. Problem is, that no one gives you final answer, so you never know if and how exactly you have to do it, to be 100% successful. At least this part to change in pesos I think is out, but might be hard for foreigners.

To get money in for property I would be very careful. Also it is for long period, so you will never be sure, what next government will plant to fck you up.. Sad, really.

I heard my name. :)

Use a cueva. Not a problem for home sellers repatriating their proceeds. Send me a pm if you need more info.

Best,

GS

Cant you just bring the dollars in physically on a plane? IF you have the documentation isn't that perfectly fine?

Cant you just bring the dollars in physically on a plane? IF you have the documentation isn't that perfectly fine?

I always wondered about that as well. Until $9999 (per person) you can take without declaring or taking any paperwork and it's perfectly legal. But what actually happens when you take $15k and declare it?

You just get asked questions about the source of the funds and intended use. Never had an issue with it (just calculate a bit more time at the airport), but my experience comes from a lot of other countries, not Argentina.

Back