Getting Visitors To Bring In Foodstuffs

brixtongirl

Registered
Hi all,

My parents are coming to visit next weekend I would like to load them up with a bunch of pantry goods- pomegranate molasses, oils, grains I can't get here- a mixture of liquid and dry goods, but all non-perishable. Having brought nothing of the kind out with me when I arrived in January, I'm wondering whether they are likely to have problems at border control. In my experience, as long as you've not got perishable goods on you it should be fine, but they don't have good Spanish, and I'd rather their first moments in the country weren't getting grilled on contraband!

I'd really appreciate any experience anyone has with this!

Thanks!

As long as its in a sealed container and inside their suitcases they wont have problems. Have probably on 5-6 occasions asked people to bring sauces,powders,teabags,etc without a hitch to Argentina.
I once took in the other direction 8 big bags of mate to Europe so the wife could survive, i thought i`d get pulled over for something that looks like 8 bags of weed. But was never questioned.

I brought a wheel of my favorite cheese last time I came. No problems.

I chanced a try after my aunt successfully brought me a selection of 30 cheeses, American, Spanish and French, many made with unpasteurized milk. In that case she was hassled a bit by Aduana but in the end let by.

I managed to get pomegranate syrup when I lived out there - have you tried the Armenian delis? My favourite was Damasco on Scalabrini Ortiz, it is about a block down from Cordoba on the right hand side if you're walking down towards Santa Fe.

I bought peanut butter and cheese in Amsterdam airport, so it was in and baggage, again no problems

I came back from the US in February with 400 gallons of maple syrup. :)

Seriously, I've never had problems with food that was sealed, including the 12 pounds of frozen bacon on the last trip.

Ditto, had cheeses, dried mushrooms, baking powder, nutella, jams, sauces brought over without a glitch.

Here is information from the government:

http://www.afip.gob.ar/english/touristInformation.asp#b

Incoming Baggage

Declaration:
Without exceptions, all visitors arriving to the Customs territory shall complete a Customs Declaration form, including Form OM-2087/G3 (if it is by air or sea) or Form OM-2087/G4 (if it is by waterway or land).

Accompanied articles:
Articles considered as baggage and that travel in the same transportation means as the visitor.

Unaccompanied articles:
Articles that are part of the visitor's baggage and that arrive to the country through a different transportation means than that of the visitor. To be considered unaccompanied baggage it should enter into the country within six months of the visitor's date of arrival or three months before said date.

Regular Provisions:
Articles that CANNOT enter the country
Any kind of goods for commercial or industrial use.
Firearms, unless authorized by the National Firearms Registry (RENAR).
Explosives, inflammable articles and narcotics.
Prohibited articles for non-economic reasons (public health, safety, etc.).
Goods others than baggage.

IMPORTANT: Remember that, if inconveniencies arise you are accountable for the content of the baggage you carry. The Customs agents that control the baggage can decide to control passengers and/or baggage as they deem convenient

I did note that the many items being mentioned at EZE as NOT PERMITTED on the monitors throughout the airport. One that stuck out was: they will not allow items that are deemed "home made" or not packaged by some qualified food company. So it's OK to bring Cheez Whiz, but not a wheel of cheese produced on a farm without a container and label.
But according to the same notices; they go on to say: anything containing milk or milk by-products is not permitted (among other things). I suspect that it all depends on the mood of the customs agent.

I arrived at Eze with bottles of maple syrup, peanut butter jars, and sazon Goya packets and 2 brand new tablets and no problem at customs... now the question I have is how many bottles of wine you think I can take in one suitcase? I want to bring back home some chorizo, yerba mate..back to the states

Back