Gloom and Doom

YoleeG

Registered
I have been reading the posts on US foreign policy. I think part of being an expat is to leave your country for what is considered greener pastures. All the time I hear in the media of the economy being bad, how people are pissed off at Bush, how invading Iraq was a bad idea, etc. I have read of economists and political analysts predicting a market crash within the next 5-10 years. It is safe to say that now is a good time to leave the US for other parts of the world.....whether it be BA or somewhere else. My question is will countries like Argentina or otherwise be a little more stricter with letting in Americans as expats in the coming years? If things get really bad in the US, will countries start blocking their borders from letting other people in? At some point, if their is a mass exodus......other countries are not wanting to be bothered or involved in our hardships. Especially like Argentina where it is not solely dependant on the US for resources.

I don't think this is a major concern.No matter what happens in the US, the vast majority of Americans will never have any desire or interest in being expats. So, there won't be a run for the border, and other coumtries will not have to change their immigration policies. I think there will be a mini wave of US expatting because of the baby boomers not having enough money to retire in the US. This will benefit poorer countries. However, if the US economy and dollar does totally collapse, this mini boom will be even mini-er, as in the case the dollars won't go far anywhere, even Bangladesh.

"Fullmettlejaquette" said:
No matter what happens in the US, the vast majority of Americans will never have any desire or interest in being expats. So, there won't be a run for the border, and other coumtries will not have to change their immigration policies. I think there will be a mini wave of US expatting because of the baby boomers not having enough money to retire in the US. This will benefit poorer countries. However, if the US economy and dollar does totally collapse, this mini boom will be even mini-er, as in the case the dollars won't go far anywhere, even Bangladesh.
Quite so. The language barrier is a formidable one. Customs and culture is another. But let me sketch other scenarios.
100,000 US citizens did apply for emigration to the Soviet Union in 1932 (the USSR had put out an advert for skilled workers in American newspapers). So if circumstances become dire enough, one can expect a rising efflux.
As the United States becomes steadily more polarised into rich and poor, and the middle class eveaporates into thin air, one can expect the number of emigrants from the US to increase even without a crash. For a number of reasons, the USA is an increasingly unattractive place to live. So conceivably it could be like the situation depicted in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, where men from the troubled South wind up in places like the Shire and Bree, and these places end up either invaded (the Shire) or in a state of siege (Bree).
Let us not forget that Americans (i.e. US inhabitants) defrauded and mass murdered millions of red Indians, and took hold of their lands. Why is it out of the question that the same not be done to sparsely populated Argentina and Uruguay? The Germans used to call it lebensraum -- living space. We already know that this is going to be a century of unremitting resource wars -- for land, water, oil. In any case, the entire history of the Americas is one of mass murder, plunder, and appropriation of land and possessions.

I guess you are right FullMettle about maybe it won't be so bad. It is definitely the haves and have-nots. Although I don't think it will be as bad as comparing it to Bangladesh, where people are paid 15 cents a hour to make the clothes on your back. Alot of Americans feel that they live in a democracy........but it is definitely a republic. On its way to Communism with Big Brother and his surveillance tactics. Don't think that down the road the government will not try to make it harder for people that want to leave or can afford to. At least at this point I am able to leave if I wanted to.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MilHojas Articles 1
Iznogud Expat Life 10
R Expat Life 81
Back