Good Place For Teenagers?

A friend of mine has catalogued her experiences raising twins on her blog. It's a hilarious read, but actually very realistic. Be prepared -- adolescence in Argentina is nothing like the UK! However, I'm not sure if it's in the following post or another that she talks about the group mentality and that's very true, friendships are extremely important here and they look out for each other. She also gave a Ted talk (in Spanish) that is interesting:

https://othersideofthefence.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/set-your-alarm-for-5am-parents-guide-to-ba-teenagers/

A friend of mine has catalogued her experiences raising twins on her blog. It's a hilarious read, but actually very realistic. Be prepared -- adolescence in Argentina is nothing like the UK! However, I'm not sure if it's in the following post or another that she talks about the group mentality and that's very true, friendships are extremely important here and they look out for each other. She also gave a Ted talk (in Spanish) that is interesting:

https://othersideofthefence.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/set-your-alarm-for-5am-parents-guide-to-ba-teenagers/

I'm still shaking my head. Yikes -- culture / generation shock!

We live in Patagonia and it seems the anorexic etc problems are much less here, maybe it is more a Argentine big-city thing than just an Argentine thing? The tourists are always much skinnier than the locals.
Here the kids are more concerned about whether to ski or snowboard.

Oh, and of course it helps a lot if you don't have a TV, as crappy Argentine TV with distorted realities/rolemodels will make things worse anywhere...

Hmmm... I don't know about anorexia and small towns... I come from one, and off the top of my head I can remember 3 bulimic classmates/acquaintances (2 had to be hospitalized for treatment) back in our senior year of high school, a still-anorexic, never treated 41-year old friend (very similar to what Serafina told), two more who live on Diet Coke and chewing gum, and another one who died at the age of 19 after drastically losing 10 kg with amphetamines... I had not realized how many cases I know until this post.

And let's don't forget horrible fashion here. Shoes in the shape of cow hooves and nasty calzas are not only disgusting, but also unhealthy.

I think it's terrible to be a girl here (or boy that doesn't like football), but I guess much depends on parents and circle of friends they are in.

And let's don't forget horrible fashion here. Shoes in the shape of cow hooves and nasty calzas are not only disgusting, but also unhealthy.

I think it's terrible to be a girl here (or boy that doesn't like football), but I guess much depends on parents and circle of friends they are in.

Ha ha! Nasty calzas...

The football comment: spot on.

I don't think it is THAT terrible though. I believe it sucks for us parents, but not for them.

Thanks very much for all your thoughts. I am not too worried about TV because like most 12 year olds nowadays she almost never watches it, prefers social media, youtube etc. But the influence of peers is still very important of course. Even I feel pressure in Argentina surrounded by female friends picking at salads and clothes stores where the 'grande' is not so grande. I was hoping that the younger generation was less obsessed but it sounds like perhaps not.

Back