Got into a scuffle with three chorros at Starbucks- will they seek revenge?

Fiscal

Registered
Three teenagers came into Starbucks to “sell” stuff. One had a bunch of garbage bags in plastic wrap and came over to my table and put the bags over my phone. He kept trying to distract me from my phone and then finally left walking off with my phone. It wasn’t very subtle. I got up immediately and he tried to run so I grabbed his arm and threw him into table and then the floor, and took my phone. Then I screamed at his two friends in (in English because I was so mad) to get the f out.

In retrospect I realize I should have just let him take my phone and definitely not grabbed and physically shoved him hard because of all the stories of chorros shooting or knifing tourists, so I’m pretty lucky. But this was the Starbucks next to my apartment.

is there some chorro code now like in the US with gangbros so they will come back and look for me and try to f me up or shoot me?

Three teenagers came into Starbucks to “sell” stuff. One had a bunch of garbage bags in plastic wrap and came over to my table and put the bags over my phone. He kept trying to distract me from my phone and then finally left walking off with my phone. It wasn’t very subtle. I got up immediately and he tried to run so I grabbed his arm and threw him into table and then the floor, and took my phone. Then I screamed at his two friends in (in English because I was so mad) to get the f out.

In retrospect I realize I should have just let him take my phone and definitely not grabbed and physically shoved him hard because of all the stories of chorros shooting or knifing tourists, so I’m pretty lucky. But this was the Starbucks next to my apartment.

is there some chorro code now like in the US with gangbros so they will come back and look for me and try to f me up or shoot me?

Sorry to hear that. Did they look like the type of people that might seek revenge? Did you call the police? Also, what area do you live in? Are there certain neighborhoods where this sort of thing probably won’t happen?

At some point I'd guess the poverty makes seeking revenge too expensive. Somewhere in the middle of Maslow's hierarchy of needs:

1637015050659.png

Are there certain neighborhoods where this sort of thing probably won’t happen?

This "sort of thing" (and much worse) may happen less often in neighborhoods where Starbuck's are located but they can and have happened in all of them, including Palermo, Recoleta, and the "nicer" areas of Retiro, though it's more likely to happen in the street than inside a restaurant or cafe...though that could easily change in the not so distant future.

Last edited:
I have nothing to add on the point of the potential reprisals, and am not even going to be back in Argentina until March, but I think both that you did the right thing and don't have too much to fear from those bozos.

Would be nice if the government would loose an Argentine version of the BOPE on this scum.

I wouldn’t worry too much about revenge.
Would think it was just an opportunistic crime driven by the hunger and poverty that is the grim reality for almost half of all Argentines today. It’s probably not a lifestyle choice or some kind of “prestige” for them and they are probably much more scared of you/ being recognized by the staff/ embarrassed after that to even think of coming back to that area for a while.

Your concern about resisting robbery is a valid reminder - every day people do get hurt resisting, even if it’s “just” a punch in the face. Violent crimes in AMBA are also increasingly being perpetrated by minors.

Moral of the story, to minimize your chances of being a victim of these kinds of opportunistic crimes, always keep your phone / valuable out of sight when you’re not actively using it. Make it a habit. This is a very unequal society and that phone/ valuable probably costs more than many could earn in a year.

Sorry to hear that. Did they look like the type of people that might seek revenge? Did you call the police? Also, what area do you live in? Are there certain neighborhoods where this sort of thing probably won’t happen?
I live in Palermo near Palermo Chico. They looked typical chorros, but not particularly dangerous since they didn’t stay to fight even though they outnumbered me. They were weirdly obedient when I screamed gtfo. But I feel like if I did the same thing to three punks from some El Salvadoran gang, their honor system would require killing me or beating me up at least.

I go to this Starbucks like 2x a day, never had anything like this happen.

I didn’t call the police. The employees at Starbucks just were gathered near me and stood in there in shock. I told a friend about it, who said I could be the one in trouble for getting violent when they just tried to steal my phone.

Back