Greetings from a newcomer (tech guy from NYC)

MacDaddy

Registered
Hello all,

I'm a newcomer here, and look forward to integrating into the expat community and making friends.

By way of introduction -
Nearly two years ago, I quit my well-paying job in New York and sold everything in order to go traveling. I spent five months in Central America, four months each in Colombia, Ecuador and Peru, two months in Bolivia, and I've been in Argentina since May - visiting Salta, Cordoba, Mendoza, and finally Buenos Aires. (If you're interested in reading more about this trip, check out my travel blog: http://jjtravels.net - although at the moment, it's several months behind.. I hope to get it caught up pronto!)

Part of my reason for leaving the States was to search for a new place to begin a new life - I'd been wanting to live overseas for years, and finally built up the courage (and savings) to make it happen.
All along my journey, everyone I met told me that B.A. would be the ideal place for me to settle - the combination of a vibrant art and theatre scene, a cosmopolitan and sophisticated populace, etc.

Thus far I have not been disappointed, and am now convinced this will be my home for at least the next several years. But now I am finally running out of savings, and the time has come to find a job!
My background is in technical theatre - sound engineer, lighting design, stage managing, and as a producer for theatre, dance, and music groups. I have 20 years of experience in this field, including nearly 10 years in international touring.

Additionally, I have a lot of experience as a "tech guy" - upgrading and repairing Mac computers, installing home theatre systems, training non-technically minded people how to use technical tools. In conjunction with this, I've spent many years at the intersection of art and technology - working with artists (typically photographers, sculptors, kinetic and multi-media artists) to realize their visions into other mediums, whether it be for the stage, web, or simply in integrating new technological tools into their work.

I'm mentioning all of this because you may know someone who could use my skills and services, or at least people I could invite to coffee in order to begin to network with.

I look forward to meeting you all in person!

Cheers,

Josh Johnson

After giving up on getting a technician from a local Mac store I called the MacDaddy, and could not be happier.

I have four MacBooks of different ages, all four running different versions of OSX and badly neglected. The MacDaddy (Josh) got them updated and “talking” to each other - never knew they could do that.

He’s a patient and knowledgeable instructor - a godsend for a cybermoron like myself.

Hello Mac Daddy

Living in Buenos Aires though Iam a local is an adventure in itself we will never know how much things will cost tomorrow! or if there will be a piquete in Congreso or in 9 de Julio avenue but welcome to the jungle! ummm and Iam not joking!
all the best
Reina

You sound like you're versatile and skilled enough to definitely make it work, if not make a real success, from life here. All the best!

MizzMarr said:
You sound like you're versatile and skilled enough to definitely make it work, if not make a real success, from life here. All the best!

Thanks, that's very kind of you!

I highly recommend Josh Johnson as a highly skilled technology teacher and an amazing problem solver for any issues that you might have with your PC or Mac. He provided a great wealth of information and effectively helped me complete a cutting-edge multimedia Power Point presentation. He is extremely reliable, patient and knowledgeable. Furthermore, his enthusiasm, professionalism and creativity are truly superior!

Back