Guide to Housing in BsAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
"narosenblum" said:
Hey EliA: just to confirm, those are U$S figures, not pesos, right?
Anyone have a feel for what a fair monthly price on a 2 br/ 3 ambiente would be (whether U$S or pesos)?

Are you looking for furnished or unfurnished? For furnished 2 BRs, in a nice section of town (Palermo, Recoleta, etc), I would say you're looking at $1500 USD & up per month.
Unfurnished, much less but unless you're planning on staying long-term, it's not really cost-effective to furnish an apartment yourself.

Thank you all for the information! My wife and I are looking for a one bedroom, one bath, full kitchen, and are dreaming of a pool in Recoleta. I have been looking mostly on Craig's list. I think we can find a decent place for less than U$1000 for the month of December. I have read that December is the most expensive month and rent can be marked up as much as 40%. We are planning to rent for only one month, so if prices drop after the new year we can find better rates. Any truth to this?

Hi,

Thanks also for all the information, it is very useful! But I still have a question. In march/april I am going to BA to learn spanish and I would love to live with local students/young professionals (or other international people who study in BA). I saw that most big language schools do offer this, but is there also a way to find a temporary place to stay besides this? I would prefer to look for a smaller language school when I am in BA, for example a school/institute/cultural center that other people would recommend. Thanks very much!

Sasja

This post was started ages ago, I just thought I´d add some more updated info about renting apartments in BA:

- As mentioned a loooong time ago, one option is classified sites. La Nacion and La Clarin both have good sites for housing, and this is also where the locals look, so you know they are normal prices.

- other classifieds, such as OLX and Craigslist have good postings, although mroe geared to tourists (especially craigslist).

- Solo Duenos is a great site, where you deal directly with the owner. Watch out for scams, they are not common, but because there is no official mediary, you have to be carfeul.

- you can deal with the loads of Real Estate companies as well, but you will end up paying for it. The good news is, some are very helpful and save you time and headaches

For a better description of different resources for finding apartments, check out this resoure guide to apartments in Buenos Aires.

Cheers,
Diego

A few more updates:

This place from the original post appears to be closed:
Urban Rent: [email protected]
They were quite helpful, especially Maria Elena, who tried really hard to give me exactly what I wanted and even tried to negotiate prices down to my level. Her number is 4785 2107 (I don't think she speaks English). Their commission is half a month's rent (pretty standard).
E-mails to them bounce back, and the telephone number never answers.

Also, I found this blog post to be helpful: http://www.consultingrehab.com/2010/03/25/how-to-rent-an-apartment-in-buenos-aires/
The author details her experiences with many of the well-known rental agencies and gives tips on things to watch out for.

EliA, Thanks for the post. The notes above are with respect to "alquilar temporario" /all included. Correct? Do you have an idea for pricing in those same areas with respect to "alquilar" 2 year apartments?

I know most if not all require a guarantor with property, and come with nothing (maybe even no refrigerator) but my understanding is you can get better deals. Any advice or thoughts? Thanks again OP was awesome.

Is there a way to move this to the Accomodation thread? I looked for something like this there a few weeks ago, would of been great help during my search over the last week :)

Thanks Elia... great article , perhaps we need an update of the state of the Temporary Rental Market in August 2012...?

Just wanted at add a point to EliA´s valid concern about noise: even noisey locations are OK if the unit is not on a low floor. And an old building often has much taller apartments, so that being on the 3rd floor of an old building typically is as about as high as being on the 5th floor of a modern building.

Sasja,
Some language schools charge much higher than the normal rate for accomodation so I hope you find a temporary apartment through one of the other
companies, mentioned in this thread. Also, the language schools want students to pay in advance usually. I know one language school that hasn´t
paid their rent in 6 months, so I wonder how confident people should be in paying so much in advance. If you want, send me a personal message and
I can tell you which language school didn´t pay their rent.
-----
Thanks also for all the information, it is very useful! But I still have a question. In march/april I am going to BA to learn spanish and I would love to live with local students/young professionals (or other international people who study in BA). I saw that most big language schools do offer this, but is there also a way to find a temporary place to stay besides this? I would prefer to look for a smaller language school when I am in BA, for example a school/institute/cultural center that other people would recommend. Thanks very much!

Sasja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back