Guinness.

SingForAbsolution said:
I had a Guinness at some bar in Plaza Serrano and it was $30 pesos I believe. I've never been to the UK but it tasted much better than the shit that gets exported to the US. It was also in a UK pint. I'll have to check out DTM for sure.

Guinness is from Ireland, not the UK. tastes shit in the UK too.
:eek:

irish said:
Guinness is from Ireland, not the UK. tastes shit in the UK too.
:eek:

Yes I know it's from Ireland. Dublin, right? Sorry, I originally thought the UK referred to Great Britain and Ireland, but apparently it only refers to Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Looks like I learned something new today. :)

Now, can anyone explain to me the difference between Britain and England?

Great Britain is a land mass, an island, consisting of England, Scotland and Wales. The official title of the UK, is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, hence the island of Great Britain and the occupied zone of "Northern" Ireland. England is the part of Great Britain, obviously south of Scotland, and east of Wales, and whilst there are no border controls between the countries on Great Britain, Scotland and Wales do have their own "parliaments" and have some devolved powers from that of the UK Parliament in Westminster.

Pre- Irish Independence, the island of Ireland was sometimes noted on maps as the island of Lesser Britain, although this was not formally used anywhere that I am aware of. Ireland is of course the island as we know it today, consisting of the 32 counties that make up the whole island. 26 of these counties are in the Republic of Ireland, with 6 counties remaining under colonial rule by the UK, with a Northern Ireland Assembly having some devolved powers. The issue of the colony, or province as the Brits like to call it, has been the root of the conflict that has been around for hundreds of years, and more recently known to outsiders as "The Troubles"...

I could go on, but this is really about Guinness, and writing that I feel like a pint :)

Guinness of course is Irish through and through. It was first brewed in Dublin, at St James Gate, in 1759, by one Arthur Guinness, and is still brewed in the same location, using the same, if somewhat expanded, well to take the water that gives the proper taste. The Guinness here in Argentina, is brewed in Ireland, and shipped down. A lot depends on how it is stored when being shipped, and aslo how it is kept at the bar, and how the lines are kept clean when hooked up to the serving mechanism. The temperature has to be kept right to ensure quality, and often in the US, Guinness kegs are stored at too low a temperature, as most Americans like their beer ice cold, and whilst served without passing through a chiller, the damage has been done in the storage, hence the reason the beer can taste different in varying places. Have to say the same sub-standard storage (although less the temperature itself) is often the reason that it tastes different in England, as many pubs do not have the appropriate conditions to store the Guinness properly.

There we go, and now I definitely need a pint of the black stuff...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Expat Life 2